Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lifelong Interstellar Travel Or £1m Yearly Stipend. Watch

ReputationRep:
    You have two options, but only one choice.

Which would you choose?

Lifelong interstellar travel, your family's/partner's estate receiving £50m every year for 100 years, with statues honoring you in every state capital.

Spoiler:
    Show

- Train for ten years for interstellar travel (the last five of those being cut off from the world, friends and family to fully adjust).

- After the ten years, you embark upon the interstellar journey, the craft being programmed to travel *forever* or until it fails, and collect data as it goes on.

- For the first 2 years of the journey, you will be able to contact Earth and friends and family - thereafter, all communication is cut off forever, leaving you forever alone. The craft is not able to return once it has departed from Earth.

As a reward for your services to mankind, you will be honoured with a statue of yourself built in every single capital of every country on Earth. Also, a yearly amount of £50m will be paid to your household estate every year for 100 years (i.e. family, partner etc) from your time of departure. Your salary for on-Earth training (the initial ten years) would only be enough to cover basic food etc.

OR,

2. Long-term charity and humanitarian work, with you being kept on a tight leash, receiving a stipend of £1m every year, with meetings with world leaders on your days off.

Spoiler:
    Show

- You will receive a yearly stipend of £1m.

- Once you have accepted, such payment will only continue until the year of your death or injury (if incapacitated, you will not be compensated or paid your stipend - your contract will come to a premature end with no liability on your end), or global disaster.

- Your contract is for 50 years. You are not allowed to accept any other employment in that time period (even employment on your days of no work).

- For that, your duties are to work at least 300 days every year in far-away poverty-stricken and war-torn countries where rebels still roam and law and order is shaky at best. Duties include planting crops, teaching children, building etc etc.

- For those 300 days of work, you will be completely cut off from family and friends - but will be able to call them for one hour every Sunday. You are only allowed to spend your stipend on the days you do not work (i.e. 64/65 days). Food, shelter and clothing is provided to you free of cost. You are not allowed to spend any of your own money or bring personal items on the 300 days of work.

However, due to the nature of your work, there is a high risk of death or injury - 10% chance everyday.

- Nevertheless, you will be honored, alongside the above stipend, with various awards for humanitarian work and personal meetings with various heads of states and world leaders on your days off.

ReputationRep:
    Well, this is...cheerful

They're both fairly awful options but I would have to go for number 2 as I would at least retain a degree of human contact (also, why the hell would I have a 70% risk of death from building schools!?!?!).

ReputationRep:
    1. I want my legacy to spread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh93)
    Well, this is...cheerful

They're both fairly awful options but I would have to go for number 2 as I would at least retain a degree of human contact (also, why the hell would I have a 70% risk of death from building schools!?!?!).
    You are in war-torn and poverty-stricken countries - rebels still roam about and law and order is shaky at best. Even so, I'll decrease the risk percentage.

ReputationRep:
    You're a maniac.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    You're a maniac.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Why?
    Because of the number of your threads and the topics you choose for them.

Also, these choices are incredibly weird. Something like this should be 'tongues for fingers or a finger for a tongue?'

ReputationRep:
    Because of the number of your threads and the topics you choose for them.

Also, these choices are incredibly weird. Something like this should be 'tongues for fingers or a finger for a tongue?'
    Yes, this is chat and chat is supposed to fun/entertaining, no?

The choices are meant to be quite difficult/weird - otherwise they'd be too easy and boring, no?

ReputationRep:
    You realise that if every day there was a 40% chance of injury or death then you'd be dead well before a year was up?

ReputationRep:
    You realise that if every day there was a 40% chance of injury or death then you'd be dead well before a year was up?
    Fine, let's make it a bit more realistic.

ReputationRep:
    Would have gone for the second option until 10% chance of death daily. They are both really ****.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.