The Student Room Group

No supervisor at PhD interview!

Hi,
I've just had an interview for a PhD studentship, and while I was nervous, I believe I impressed the panel. The thing is, neither 1st nor 2nd supervisors were on the panel. (I was told they were both busy). This concerns me as, despite my efforts, I didn't get a chance to meet with either of them before the interview. I'm now feeling quite a bit peeved and wondering, if my application is going to be considered seriously and also wondering if I am successful, whether I should accept an offer.
BTW, the chair of the panel kindly invited me to have a look round the department before I left and I stumbled upon the 2nd supervisors office. His door was ajar and he seemed to be having an informal chat with a colleague.
:redface:Has anyone else had a similar experience? Should I be concerned?
It may simply be that one or both of them wont be working there come October - or a similar practical reason. If the make you an offer, it would be quite acceptable for you to ask to meet whoever will be supervising you before you actually accept the offer.
Have you been in contact with the supervisors prior to your interview?
Reply 3
I e-mailed the 1st Supervisor, asking to meet up, (very politely) and this was bounced to the 2nd supervisor, and he said he was glad I was applying and asked for my phone number so he could give me a call, but never did. So, the only contact I've had is by e-mail.
It might be worth trying to see if you can get in touch with another one of their current PhD students. Then you can ask the current students how much attention they receive from their supervisors. I agree with you that this can be quite off-putting for your PhD as there's nothing worse than Supervisors who won't have time for you. It could just be that they get a large number of applicants so you won't see much of them until they know you'll be doing your PhD for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending