Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

After taking a gap year and moving to Australia forever two months ago I feel it's not what I expected at all. I've been on holiday to Australia before multiple times for long periods of time and I had the time of my life. However, this time it is really different because I haven't been able to get a job, I'm still living with family when I want to move out and I have no friends and no social life what so ever. I feel like my life is on a downward spiral and I don't know what to do. I don't know how to make friends without having a job or having any money to do activities. I'm just starting to feel sad about everything but I know I can't move back to England so I don't know what to do. I left everything behind and now it's all falling to pieces.

ReputationRep:
    Don't give up!!!!!!! Ok, you need to make a plan, go out and find a local club or sports team to meet some people. Go to a pub, bond over a couple of drinks something like that. Your move seems to be a new start for you, you should make it a new start! Try and make life better for yourself, you need to be strong! try and find some friends there are people out there. You could look on a dating website, you might not be looking for a relationship but it'll be a way to meet new people. As far as jobs go, try going around to different shops and asking around, look online or in a newspaper. Even is it is at a supermarket it is some for of income. Don't give up hope you have so much to live for and so much to look forward to! I hope this helps keep smiling

ReputationRep:
    You need to remember why you moved in the first place, why did you go there? what were your plans? And aim to do them If you need a job, ask around, find people who know of jobs, hand out your CV everywhere and cross your fingers. Meet people, email people, put something in a newspaper about finding contacts? Theres bound to be loads of people out there in the same situation as you Maybe find blogs or forums online of people doing the same as you, in your area, and contact them? The world is your oyster! The fact you took the leap to go out to Australia says that you have some fight in you, so use it and carry on fighting Life is too short to be unhappy, living is about being happy and making the most of everyday and opportunity So be happy

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.