Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you take on an exploration mission of the moon? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering what equipment would you take on a mission on the moon, I have already thought of the space exploration vehicle but i am wondering what other equipment would be used.

ReputationRep:
    A pencil, apparently pens dont work in space because there is no gravity to draw ink down or somthing lol :P

Failing that somthing to keep me sane lol
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Divide into categories and then think what is required for each:

1) Getting there and back.
    2) Communications both with home and between crew members.
    3) Life support and hazard protection for the whole journey and duration on the moon.
    4) Science experiments while on the surface.
    5) Recreation to break the stress and monotony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeM90)
    A pencil, apparently pens dont work in space because there is no gravity to draw ink down or somthing lol :P

Failing that somthing to keep me sane lol
    Don't take a pencil to space... The tips snap, and shavings will float. Imagine floating through the cabin of a space craft and chunks of graphite and wood shavings are flying into your face! I believe that's why, despite the cost, the US laughed at the Russians for their differences in space writing apparatus.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    Don't take a pencil to space... The tips snap, and shavings will float. Imagine floating through the cabin of a space craft and chunks of graphite and wood shavings are flying into your face! I believe that's why, despite the cost, the US laughed at the Russians for their differences in space writing apparatus.
    Which is of course oft' quoted but not quite true:

Lead pencils were used on all Mercury and Gemini space-flights and on all Russian space-flights before 1968.

The Fisher Space Pen or pressurised ball point pen as it is now known, was developed independently prior to 1965 (by an entrepreneur Paul. C. Fisher. would you believe) using his own money with NO funding from NASA. Reportedly it had cost him $1m+ to do this.

He sent samples to NASA (Dr Robert Gilruth, Director of the Houston Space Center) who then tested and approved the pen for flight in 1965.

It is true that NASA wanted a replacement after the Apollo fire because pencils were a fire risk and were unreliable for the reasons you mentioned. But they never committed funds to developing a pen.

In late 1967, Fisher sold 400 pens to NASA for $2.95 each. Pressurised ball point pens have been used on both US and Russian space-flights ever since 1968.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    true but the US invention cost millions, and didnt work! pencil probably cost 15pence lol

ReputationRep:
    Dowsing rods, gonna find some water :yep:

another interesting piece of apollo era space tech was the apollo watch. The quartz watch hadn't been invented so they used electronic watches with miniature electromagnetically excited tuning forks in them.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by LukeM90)
    true but the US invention cost millions, and didnt work! pencil probably cost 15pence lol
    Huh?

Of course it worked which is why both the U.S. and Russians have used the Fisher AG7 Space Pen since 1967. See my previous answer in this thread.

That NASA spent millions developing it is an urban legend, it was entirely privately funded with NASA and the Russians adopting it after trials.

Prior to 1967, both the US and Russians used pencils.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.