Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm thinking of applying to RH for 2014 entry (long way away i know!), and i was wondering whether RH is quiet and chilled out or as busy and bustling like the imperial campus? Also is it less pressured than somewhere like Imperial?

Finally, what's the pastoral care like - I have anxiety issues and i was wondering what RH's pastoral support is like?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Roho is a beautifully chilled out campus! Everybody seems to get along very well and being a small campus based uni, most people get to know each other fairly quickly. I suggest you stay on Campus if you do apply and try to get accomodation anywhere but KW since it's not directly on camps and so you may not get the full campus experience.

It's definitely not as busy as the Imperial campus, although it does have very lively events/people. Not sure what you mean by pressured

The support teams at Royal Holloway are brillliant and they will proivde help at almost every hour of the day so I wouldn't worry about that at all. Personal tutors are very helpful too
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    Hello,

I'm thinking of applying to RH for 2014 entry (long way away i know!), and i was wondering whether RH is quiet and chilled out or as busy and bustling like the imperial campus? Also is it less pressured than somewhere like Imperial?

Finally, what's the pastoral care like - I have anxiety issues and i was wondering what RH's pastoral support is like?

Thanks!
    To answer your first question, it's both! During the week campus is pretty busy, but at the weekend it's much quieter and so the weekend is a nice time to have a chill out or catch up on some work. (I've never been to Imperial though so I can't make any direct comparisons). I'm not sure what you mean by pressured, but in general Royal Holloway's campus is a pretty relaxed place to be.

The pastoral care here is excellent; I have friends who have had to use their services for a variety of reasons and have almost always been happy with the response, whether it be the university just keeping a general eye on that person, or whether they've gone for actual counselling sessions. There's a lot of support at Holloway and as someone who suffers from anxiety myself, I would recommend it as a good place to go in terms of the level and quality of care provided.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llacerta)
    To answer your first question, it's both! During the week campus is pretty busy, but at the weekend it's much quieter and so the weekend is a nice time to have a chill out or catch up on some work. (I've never been to Imperial though so I can't make any direct comparisons). I'm not sure what you mean by pressured, but in general Royal Holloway's campus is a pretty relaxed place to be.

The pastoral care here is excellent; I have friends who have had to use their services for a variety of reasons and have almost always been happy with the response, whether it be the university just keeping a general eye on that person, or whether they've gone for actual counselling sessions. There's a lot of support at Holloway and as someone who suffers from anxiety myself, I would recommend it as a good place to go in terms of the level and quality of care provided.

(Original post by lauraluca)
    Hello,

Roho is a beautifully chilled out campus! Everybody seems to get along very well and being a small campus based uni, most people get to know each other fairly quickly. I suggest you stay on Campus if you do apply and try to get accomodation anywhere but KW since it's not directly on camps and so you may not get the full campus experience.

It's definitely not as busy as the Imperial campus, although it does have very lively events/people. Not sure what you mean by pressured

The support teams at Royal Holloway are brillliant and they will proivde help at almost every hour of the day so I wouldn't worry about that at all. Personal tutors are very helpful too
    Hiya,

Thanks for your reply. By pressured I mean not crazily overwhelmed with work, not having too much stress. I spent all day worrying about RH today even though I've not applied and don't hold an offer yet! I think if I go there I'd probably need weekly counselling or something to help me through it. I had counselling at UCL and it helped me through undergrad and i dropped out of imperial college after a week last october because I couldn't get support and my anxiety got really bad there. Tbh, I'm not sure how I'd cope at RH; I'm really scared the same thing will happen as happened at imperial - i.e. me dropping out for health reasons. Also, do either of you know how much would be a good amount of money to save for accommodation, bills and food for a year at royal holloway? I think moving there would be better than commuting from NW london.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hiya,

Thanks for your reply. By pressured I mean not crazily overwhelmed with work, not having too much stress. I spent all day worrying about RH today even though I've not applied and don't hold an offer yet! I think if I go there I'd probably need weekly counselling or something to help me through it. I had counselling at UCL and it helped me through undergrad and i dropped out of imperial college after a week last october because I couldn't get support and my anxiety got really bad there. Tbh, I'm not sure how I'd cope at RH; I'm really scared the same thing will happen as happened at imperial - i.e. me dropping out for health reasons. Also, do either of you know how much would be a good amount of money to save for accommodation, bills and food for a year at royal holloway? I think moving there would be better than commuting from NW london.
    Well, that really depends on the programme you want to study. I find my degree pretty intense but I know some of the degree programmes have less work so it can really vary. But the atmosphere of Royal Holloway in general is pretty relaxed, so even if you have lots of work to do there's a general ease about campus that makes it a pleasant place to study.

As I said, I don't know much about Imperial but from what I do know, I'd guess that Royal Holloway is a more relaxed place to study and if you need counselling here, it will definitely be provided.

I don't want to comment too much on the cost of accommodation because apparently the costs are changing a lot next year and the year after, so any approximations I give you could be very wrong (unless you're planning to live in a house off campus, in which case rent for a year will be anywhere between £3500 and £5000). Also, you make it sound as though you're applying for postgrad (though please correct me if I'm wrong), and if this is the case you'll probably want halls which have an all-year round let, which in itself bumps up the cost a fair bit. According to the website, for students starting this year, an all-year let costs £6,500 in the most popular postgrad halls, but that'll probably be at least £7,000 from next year- but as I said, this is a very rough approximation!

If you're planning on living in halls, then you don't get any bills as that's included in the cost, but in a house, £30 a month should be enough to cover everything. Food is very variable, so you could spend anywhere between £15 and £30 a week depending on the sort of thing you like to eat.

ReputationRep:
    i can give my two cents about the support - its actually awesome and im not even there yet! my anxiety means i cannot form sentences properly (literally on a bad day it is REALLY hard to speak properly)

i have called them up around 5 times now, each time lovely about it. the last time was the worst time with communication, and at the start the person on the phone was wondering what i was talking about so i just said "sorry i have abit of a communication problem" and she said "oh thats no problem" and told me exactly what to do (it was about accomodation, and she just told me what to write, who to send the writing to, what to scan etc.. very easily to understand so i wouldnt be confused)

i havent experienced chilled out of busy holloway yet. but the village i love. theres loads of lil charity shops (i love charity shops - you buy things that make you happy n is for a good cause too)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megfashion)
    i can give my two cents about the support - its actually awesome and im not even there yet! my anxiety means i cannot form sentences properly (literally on a bad day it is REALLY hard to speak properly)

i have called them up around 5 times now, each time lovely about it. the last time was the worst time with communication, and at the start the person on the phone was wondering what i was talking about so i just said "sorry i have abit of a communication problem" and she said "oh thats no problem" and told me exactly what to do (it was about accomodation, and she just told me what to write, who to send the writing to, what to scan etc.. very easily to understand so i wouldnt be confused)

i havent experienced chilled out of busy holloway yet. but the village i love. theres loads of lil charity shops (i love charity shops - you buy things that make you happy n is for a good cause too)

that sounds positive, thanks for sharing! I really want to get this msc but me and uni don't do so well sowill deffo need all the support i can get! Imperial college's support was awful. I felt i had no choice but to drop out last oct due to my anxiety. I'm hoping if I come to royal holloway it wont be so debilitating!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    that sounds positive, thanks for sharing! I really want to get this msc but me and uni don't do so well sowill deffo need all the support i can get! Imperial college's support was awful. I felt i had no choice but to drop out last oct due to my anxiety. I'm hoping if I come to royal holloway it wont be so debilitating!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yer i mean obvs i cant comment on the actual support as i havent been there yet, but they had given me a support questionnaire to fill in saying what would help me learn etc..

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.