Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied for work experiences to different schools to apply for PGCE but they were already full or were not able to anymore. Finding work experience is difficult.
    I am thinking of trying a different route, such as becoming a teaching assistant first or a TEFL course. Does anyone know any reliable websites where I could take a course online at home instead for either of the 2 options, at least it will still show that I am committed to this field and I am doing something related in the mean time to get there.
    I don't want to pay for a course that could be a con so I need to be sure where to look for a legitimate website.
    Maybe this way, if/when I become a teaching assistant I could apply for a job of the same role in a school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AG1988)
    I applied for work experiences to different schools to apply for PGCE but they were already full or were not able to anymore. Finding work experience is difficult.
    I am thinking of trying a different route, such as becoming a teaching assistant first or a TEFL course. Does anyone know any reliable websites where I could take a course online at home instead for either of the 2 options, at least it will still show that I am committed to this field and I am doing something related in the mean time to get there.
    I don't want to pay for a course that could be a con so I need to be sure where to look for a legitimate website.
    Maybe this way, if/when I become a teaching assistant I could apply for a job of the same role in a school.
    For TEFL, do the CELTA or TESOL. Any other TEFL courses aren't worth it. Keep trying to get work experience, try asking for some for september.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to keep on trying for work experience and call the schools again before the summer hols for sure. I checked the CELTA and TESOL course and I would like to do those and teach abroad for a few weeks/months but they cost over £1000, whether it's online course or face-to-face.
    Are you less likely to be offered a job if it's any other tefl course? I was thinking of applying for a tefl course through the uk-tefl.com website as it's just 2 days, in my area and £200 where you get a certificate awarded by NFCE. Is it a legit website? I don't want to book unless I am 100% sure.
    I could do the CELTA further down the line when I can afford it but I really want to do this and teach abroad.

Is there any other options?

ReputationRep:
    2 day ESL courses are pointless if you are relying on that for UK primary school experience. ESL employers look for a minimum number of hours of practical experience..I forgot what the minimum is so you best Google ESL jobs and look at the requirements. It's necessary to invest money in a celta if you plan to make a career out of ESL but if you don't, I wouldn't bother with any course type things. Your options are ling term ESL positions in south Korea who don't require more than a degree and a summer teaching English in Italy through ACLE. Pm me if you need more info .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AG1988)
    I am going to keep on trying for work experience and call the schools again before the summer hols for sure. I checked the CELTA and TESOL course and I would like to do those and teach abroad for a few weeks/months but they cost over £1000, whether it's online course or face-to-face.
    Are you less likely to be offered a job if it's any other tefl course? I was thinking of applying for a tefl course through the uk-tefl.com website as it's just 2 days, in my area and £200 where you get a certificate awarded by NFCE. Is it a legit website? I don't want to book unless I am 100% sure.
    I could do the CELTA further down the line when I can afford it but I really want to do this and teach abroad.

Is there any other options?
    Many jobs abroad want the CELTA for you to teach. Some only require a degree though. Depends where you want to teach. Check some job advertisements for requirements. In my opinion, that 200 would be better put towards the CELTA, which is a more official qualification. The other TEFL courses are really expensive ways of gaining experience.

ReputationRep:
    I taught at a university in China with just my degree, but such positions are rare, and the conditions were awful. Taking CELTA or CertTESOL will open so many more opportunities, and is worth every penny.

ReputationRep:
    What about the website tesol direct? Is that a reliable website to do online or distance learning?
    I don't think there are any centres in my area that I can go to do the course and I can't afford to go out as well as paying for the course itself, even though I would have enjoyed the face to face interaction more.
    Are there any good online/distance learning websites instead I could do?

Was the accomodation included with your position or did you have to find your own? How long were you in China for and what about the conditions made it awful? I'dlike to know about your experiences.

I would like to work in Dubai as it seems safer, decent pay and plenty of the advertisements write that the accomodation is included with the position. Anyone been to other places and what was the experience like?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.