Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My name is Luke and I am an English speaker, from the UK currently living in Ireland (North), I recently decided I would like to learn a new language, as a hobby, to open up more entertainment and literature to me, and also to improve future job prospects and learning opportunities.

What I would like to know is, what would be the most useful languages for me to learn, I currently work in the IT industry if that helps, and would quite happily work anywhere in Europe or the US and Canada if given the chance!

But which language would be of the most use to me? I'm not discouraged by a language being hard or difficult; I am willing to commit to it, if it will prove useful to me in future!

So tell me what you think

btw I have studied some French and German at school level but not GCSE, I did better in German than French, again if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeM90)
    Hi,

My name is Luke and I am an English speaker, from the UK currently living in Ireland (North), I recently decided I would like to learn a new language, as a hobby, to open up more entertainment and literature to me, and also to improve future job prospects and learning opportunities.

What I would like to know is, what would be the most useful languages for me to learn, I currently work in the IT industry if that helps, and would quite happily work anywhere in Europe or the US and Canada if given the chance!

But which language would be of the most use to me? I'm not discouraged by a language being hard or difficult; I am willing to commit to it, if it will prove useful to me in future!

btw I have studied some French and German at school level but not GCSE, I did better in German than French, again if that helps.
    It depends, Spanish is more widely spoken around the world, particularly USA but German is more widely spoken around Europe and Germany has a pretty fast growing industry in terms of banking etc - so your choice really although spanish is similar in vocab and such to french but far more difficult!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nespix)
    It depends, Spanish is more widely spoken around the world, particularly USA but German is more widely spoken around Europe and Germany has a pretty fast growing industry in terms of banking etc - so your choice really although spanish is similar in vocab and such to french but far more difficult!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! see I am quite interested in Germany as a country, I like alot of different things from germany and would like to visit, but is that enough to base a language choice on?

Also anything I find on the net suggests learning a less complicated language first, but I am not discouraged by this xD,

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying Mandarin and it's a great language, if you want a challenge. But to be honest, it's not that difficult and it will probably look great on your resumé, especially if you work in IT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flax)
    I'm currently studying Mandarin and it's a great language, if you want a challenge. But to be honest, it's not that difficult and it will probably look great on your resumé, especially if you work in IT.
    Thanks for replying! tbh I considered Mandarin but I think the thing that puts me off it is I have never wanted to visit China lol, that being said I cant say as goes my future, but I'd be more likely to visit a european country or america before China, just personal preference really.

But I'll look into it thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying! tbh I considered Mandarin but I think the thing that puts me off it is I have never wanted to visit China lol, that being said I cant say as goes my future, but I'd be more likely to visit a european country or america before China, just personal preference really.

But I'll look into it thank you!
    Don't let that put you off! I don't really want to visit China either, but the language itself is really fun. I studied French for about 7 years and I didn't enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed the last two years of Mandarin studies. Plus, there are lots of Chinese people in Europe too.

However, I fully understanding where you're coming from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flax)
    Don't let that put you off! I don't really want to visit China either, but the language itself is really fun. I studied French for about 7 years and I didn't enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed the last two years of Mandarin studies. Plus, there are lots of Chinese people in Europe too.

However, I fully understanding where you're coming from.
    Very true! I'll maybe look into some examples or practice sessions or somthing, see what works for me xD

Thanks for the advice though!

ReputationRep:
    Very true! I'll maybe look into some examples or practice sessions or somthing, see what works for me xD

Thanks for the advice though!
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you are thinking about possibly living in Canada at some time in the future then I would suggest French.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    If you are thinking about possibly living in Canada at some time in the future then I would suggest French.
    Sorta torn between french and german atm lol

ReputationRep:
    Japanese, I study it and it is seriously not that hard. It has a huge IT environment and you will have a huge amount of respect from the people in their IT industry as most can't speak japanese, good luck on whatever you choose.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Choose the one that you have the most interest in, otherwise you are likely to get bored and stop learning. For example, I was super interested in Japan it's culture etc, so I choose that as my language to learn, now I know it fairly well, and i'm learning Mandarin as my friends are Chinese, and I want to be able to speak to them in there native language . Above all have fun .

ReputationRep:
    Urdu, gotta communicate with them asians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xmarksthesh0t)
    Japanese, I study it and it is seriously not that hard. It has a huge IT environment and you will have a huge amount of respect from the people in their IT industry as most can't speak japanese, good luck on whatever you choose.
    元気ですか?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKBrah)
    Urdu, gotta communicate with them asians.
    Urdu is spoken in Pakistan. Not Asia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Music99)
    Urdu is spoken in Pakistan. Not Asia.
    Spoken in India/regions of Afghanistan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKBrah)
    Spoken in India/regions of Afghanistan.
    Hmm true :P.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the input guys, out of interest what resources do you use personally for learning, does anyone use rosetta stone website or learn direct? or do you jus go for free learning aids? or books even?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the input guys, out of interest what resources do you use personally for learning, does anyone use rosetta stone website or learn direct? or do you jus go for free learning aids? or books even?
    I've recently started learning German. I've used a variety of websites and I have to say that duolingo.com is the best website for me. I think it is the best I have used because it teaches you phrases instead of just single words. You can also get the duolingo app on your phone.

Since I don't always have time to sit down and study German I also have audio learning tapes on my iphone. I'm currently using the Pimsleurs audio tapes, which are good because you can hear how things are pronounced and it improves your ability to have a conversation. The repetitiveness of things can be a little boring, but it really helps you to remember it, especially when you are just beginning the language and it's the little things that trip you up.

As for computer programs, I haven't go round to them yet, but I will probably get 'Tell Me More German' based on reviews I have read.

I also find having a notepad to write everything I know down to be useful because if you slack off learning for even a few days you can forget things, so looking over the notebook helps refresh your memory.

Finally, if you know anyone who speaks the language you want to speak, message them once you learn a little or if you don't there's plenty of forums.

PS/ all of the resources I have told you about also support French and Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Music99)
    元気ですか?
    Genkai desu , antawa?
    I can't type it lol but I can speak.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.