How do you even study Jane Eyre??

Watch this thread
goodvibes
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
My exam's a closed book (I'm doing the OCR AS paper) paper... how do I even revise on Jane Eyre?? there's so much that could be tested and so many quotes to learn. I don't even know how to get started... i mean i'll reread the book definitely since i didnt really finish it my second time reading it (i read the book in summer) but what else can I do? are quotes even that important btw?
Zoelingua
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Eddyish)
My exam's a closed book (I'm doing the OCR AS paper) paper... how do I even revise on Jane Eyre?? there's so much that could be tested and so many quotes to learn. I don't even know how to get started... i mean i'll reread the book definitely since i didnt really finish it my second time reading it (i read the book in summer) but what else can I do? are quotes even that important btw?
Jane Eyre's quite easy to revise - got an A without even reading the book.

You just need to know the key events/themes:

Family/surrogate mothers
- Miss Temple
- Aunt Reed
- Jane's orphaned
- "I am glad you are no relation of mine.... I will never call you aunt again as long as I live" - but Jane goes back to her in the end, shows how the force of a family lives on beyond any altercations
- Distorted view of how a family 'works'
- Use of surrogate mothers depicts Jane's long for the 'ideal' mother - finds that in Miss Temple?
- "a shrine of ladylike goodness"

Loneliness/alienation
- Orphaned
- Ambiguous place in the class system - think one of her birth parents was rich and the other was poor?
- Inferior position - patriarchal society
- Women in a mans world
- Start to life is..... Crap
- Isolated in a house where no-one really cares for her
- Start of the book where John throws a book at her? Can't think of the quote, but there's something in there worth having

Jane/Helen
- ALTER EGOS (Miss Temple is also one!)
- Teaches Jane a lot about religion
- Acts how Jane sometimes wishes she could?
- Death symbolises how all good things have to come to an end...
- For A04 you could write about how one of Bronte's sisters died at a school too from TB I think

Jane/St John
- Love based on religion really...
- The 'ideal' relationship?
- Rebellious Jane fails to conform with what St John wants
- We all know her heart lies with Rochester...
- I don't know much about this one..

Jane/Rochester - this came up in the Jan exam so don't focus too much on it
- Rochester is the Byronic hero!!!
- Know all the times they 'meet'
- First meeting; falls off his horse, reduced to floor, height significance - Jane is looking down on Rochester, power subverted, stereotypes tested, he says "please/thank you" (can't remember which one) shows politeness and tests how Byronic he is
- "a man proud, moody and cynical with defiance on his brow and misery in his heart" - Lord Macaulay's description of the Byronic hero
- "reader I married him..."
- THE CHESTNUT TREE - splits then comes back together, like Rochester and Jane... Look this one up - it's a great thing to throw in

St John/Rochester
- FOILS!!!
- Fire and ice - Rochester is always associated with fire... I think at one point he's sitting by one? St John is something to do with the weather (look this one up)
- Opposites - ones rational, ones irrational! Show the two paths Jane could go down..
- Obviously she goes with her heart over her head in the end
- Rochester - passionate
- St John - reserved

Also....
- Red room
- Bertha as an alter ego
- Identity - how it's lost and gained
- Power
- Supernatural
- The main settings (their names all symbolise different things!
- Gateshead (restriction - through the mind?), Lowood, Ferndean, Moor house, Thornfield (I've forgot the order of them...)

Quotes are easy to find, google them!

I would give you some, but I don't remember any! I'll post them if I find any.

Hope this helps
kvbjdsfkv
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
THANKS SO MUCH!
Need all the help I can get!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (4)
19.05%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (1)
4.76%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (3)
14.29%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (2)
9.52%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
28.57%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
23.81%

Watched Threads