Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HEY!!

Over the next 2 weeks I have to complete my statistics coursework but I'm not quite sure how to start it. My hypothesis is "the more populated an area is the higher the unemployment rate. Overall females have a higher unemployment rate than males".

So does anyone know how I can start it? I am planning to do a scatter graph and Spearman's Rank Correlation Coefficient. But do you know how standard deviation or Normal Distribution can fit into this?

Any suggestions would be very helpful to me and can you also please suggest anything else I can do?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm also doing the same coursework and i'm really stuck too!
    Well you can start off by collecting data from the two websites that you should already know (if you don't tell me and i'll give you their names), collect population, unemployment in general, unemployment in males, in females and whatever else you need for your hypothesis.
    Then you have to do a sample and choose an appropriate sample size to make your data more manageable.
    Oh also what i forgot to say was along with your hypothesis you also have to do a method which is basically a plan of what you're going to do in the courework.
    After all that you can start drawing graphs and doung calculations but without the data you won't be able to do either!
    Hope this helped!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I finished my controlled assessment task last week and have a written assessment on my result tomorrow, do you have any idea how i could answer the question "Suggest two different things that you could have done to extend or develop your investigation. Write down how one of these would have added to your task"? I really don't know what I could answer for this question because I feel that i have done all that i could. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EliseWoods)
    Hey, I finished my controlled assessment task last week and have a written assessment on my result tomorrow, do you have any idea how i could answer the question "Suggest two different things that you could have done to extend or develop your investigation. Write down how one of these would have added to your task"? I really don't know what I could answer for this question because I feel that i have done all that i could. Thanks
    Suggest how you could add another variable to investigate in your hypothesis and say what data you would have collected and what you'd have done if you had chosen to test that variable. Sorry I know it's not too useful but it's all I can say about it. Good Luck!!

ReputationRep:
    thank you for replying but i didnt see it ha

ReputationRep:
    How come you guys get 2 weeks and we get 2 days...?!
    I am doing IGCSE AQA which is the same topics as GCSE...

ReputationRep:
    Mine controlled assessment is tomorrow but I have no clue what will even be on it, I cant find any past papers. Can anyone help me out?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.