Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I passed my test in February and I have recently thought about doing Pass Plus, my questions are,
    has anyone done this before?
    is it worth it?
    how much did yours cost?

I live in the North East btw. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Personally i wouldnt do pass plus.
    If you want to gain more experience- on motorways, country roads etc, then it would be worth doing it. But cost wise, i wouldnt bother. Quite a few companies dont accept it. And the ones that do dont knock much off for doing it, they certainly dont knock enough off to make it worthwhile doing it. And the ones that do accept it seem to be the more expensive companies anyway.
    Cost wise- around my area it seems to be around £150. I live in the midlands.

ReputationRep:
    I heard from my driving instructor, though I'm not sure how true this is, that it counts basically as a years no claims. I did it and don't regret doing it, but my parents helped pay for it and insurance so it wasn't such a big deal. As Emma said, from an experience point of view its probably worth it, especially if you don't get the chance to drive far very often so you're not particularly confident. In terms of costs for insurance and whatnot, your best bet is just to do some research and work out your lowest price with pass plus and compare it to your lowest price without, and decide from there.

Don't forget to take into account that some instructors do it in your car with you, meaning you'll have to pay for fuel.

ReputationRep:
    It takes next to nothing off the cost of insurance. Only do it if you feel the need for the extra experience

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, Pass plus is just a massive waste of money and has very little effect if any on the cost of your insurance premiums.
    The skills you develop in pass plus, can easily be practised by driving alongside an experienced driver like a friend or family member.

Unless you have the money to splash out, I wouldn't bother with pass plus at all...

ReputationRep:
    I never took it, simply because I knew that it'd have little effect on insurance costs and I was confident enough to, and would have much prefered to, learn and gain experience driving under my own supervision.

ReputationRep:
    I did it after passing because my dad refused to insure me on our car without it. As a named driver on his policy it didn't provide me any discounts. I also live in the North East and I can't recall it adding much experience-wise other than going down some countryside roads that were used as a ratrun for commuters with idiots flying round blind corners going onto my side of the road while coming quickly towards me.

If you think you need the experience go for it, otherwise I wouldn't bother as the advantages are negligable.

ReputationRep:
    Pass plus....

Only do pass plus for the benefit of your driving experience. If you're doing it to save money on your insurance premiums you're in for a shock.

Hardly any insures actually take into consideration Pass Plus to begin with. Secondly it costs £130 ~... you 100% won't save that.

ReputationRep:
    I did it and it wasn't really worth it. I was told by my insurer it would save me some money but I found out after you have to be the named driver (which I wasn't) for the discount to apply so it saved me nothing. Even if it had been allowed the discount would have only saved me about £20 in the long-run. As for experience, some of it was useful. I would definitely ask your instructor to take you on motorways after you pass. It's not hard and would probably only take an hour.

ReputationRep:
    I did it because the local council were subsidising it. I don't think I gained much from it at all, but then I did a huge amount of driving on rural roads in the dark anyway.

It did save my a vast amount on my insurance though, I think I paid around £1200 for a 1.8 Mondeo at 18 and that was down from £2k without the pass plus. That was a couple of years ago so things may be different now.

Call your insurer and see if they will give you a discount for having it.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look for insurers and ask if they recognise Pass Plus and how much of a saving you can get. It feels as if Pass Plus has had its day a bit, but I'm sure it had more importance a few years ago.

If you're not going to save the cost of the course in insurance, there's no point to it. It does give you the opportunity to learn the skills which you may not have been up against though. I'm glad I did it, but it wasn't really a decision surrounding money.

ReputationRep:
    Ring your insurance company. Some give a discount, others don't (like mine :mad:!)

ReputationRep:
    I did it for the experience and combined it with some extra tuition (got back into driving after 4 years away), with the AA for £230. Personally even if I only get £10 or £20 off insurance in the first year, it will be worth it just to get some confidence.

Also assuming you don't make a claim, that saving goes over to the next year and so on so you will earn the money back over time rather than in one go. If you're going to do it purely for saving on insurance rather advancing skills/confidence/experience it probably isn't worth it though.

ReputationRep:
    I did Pass Plus straight after my test - £120 and felt that apart from motorway experiance it barely got me any discount - I ended up going with a direct line deal that got me 3 months free anyway

As for one years no claims equivalent I highly doubt it - however I did pass my test coming up 4 years ago now so I don't know whether it's much different now!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.