Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most important scientific discovery in past 20 years. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been set an assignment to produce a poster on the most important scientific discovery in the past 20 years, and was curious to see what other people thought. I think I'm probably going to go with the human genome project, it's brought personalised medicine closer and even though it isn't being used perfectly yet it certainly has the potential to revolutionise healthcare.
    What do other people think? I went for something from biology because I'm doing a biology course, but from anywhere in science is cool.

This thread may be in the wrong place, if so my apologies and feel free to move it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure I'd classify the human genome project as a scientific discovery. Things were discovered granted, but in and of itself? I'm not so sure.

ReputationRep:
    I'd vouch for graphene

ReputationRep:
    I'd say electricity. The modern world depends a great deal on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sugar Wolf)
    I'd say electricity. The modern world depends a great deal on it.
    In the past 20 years?

ReputationRep:
    Higgs Boson thing.

ReputationRep:
    Kate Upton

On a serious note - Cloud Computing, it is amaaaaazeballs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wiska)
    Kate Upton

On a serious note - Cloud Computing, it is amaaaaazeballs
    Cloud computing is just networking which has been around for ages.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Higgs Boson, for sure.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The discovery of the Higgs is certainly up there - it closes the door on the Standard Model in particle physics which predicted the particle since the mid-70s, and its confirmation is one of the greatest technological and collaborative achievements in science.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.