Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm 24 years old (nearly 25) and I have recently become unemployed and can't find a job at all. I seen a list of apprenticeships today for companies in my area, and there were details of the funding that can be received, and one of them was for people over the age of 24. I always thought that apprenticeships were for younger people, 16-18 and not for adults. I'm thinking of applying for a few but am concerned that I am too old and they have to allow adults to apply to avoid discriminating. So has anyone else been in a similar situation to me and started an apprenticeship at my age? If so, how was it?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatamidoing?)
    Hi, I'm 24 years old (nearly 25) and I have recently become unemployed and can't find a job at all. I seen a list of apprenticeships today for companies in my area, and there were details of the funding that can be received, and one of them was for people over the age of 24. I always thought that apprenticeships were for younger people, 16-18 and not for adults. I'm thinking of applying for a few but am concerned that I am too old and they have to allow adults to apply to avoid discriminating. So has anyone else been in a similar situation to me and started an apprenticeship at my age? If so, how was it?
    Thanks.
    Hi, it seems like you are applying for an Adult Apprenticeship, which is a real thing as this explains and you should go for it! :G'Luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.
    Apprentiships are more common with younger people, but older people can apply for them as well.
    Id go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm 25 and recently quit my job so I'm kinda in the same situation. You're never too old for anything so good luck and apply for everything in this job market

ReputationRep:
    Don't look at apprenticeships as just jobs for school leavers. An Apprenticeship is a real job where you can earn while you learn.

I'm 23 (not young, but not old) and I recently got a place on an apprenticeship. While on my induction (of 80) there were two under 18s, the majority being 18-23 and two others around 30ish. Also while on my induction there was someone already on the apprenticeship and they must have been 30 as well.

So don't let age stop you, you just have to apply for the right ones. Make sure it's not a company that just wants a teenager to do a job for 3 years, on a crap wage to then only get shot of them.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies,I appreciate it.
    I've always thought that apprenticeships were for school leavers. I wish I had done more while I was at school in planning for my future, if I could go back 8 years things would be different. Our careers advisors commitment and knowledge was questionable, a father who just seemed to shout alot and a mother who's opinion on my choices were "whatever you do, I'll support you", I've kind of just plodded along believing that I can't do better.
    It wasn't until I was 19 that I realised that at college you can do more than A-levels, and at that point I figured I was too old. When I got round to trying out college (at 22) I was with 16 year olds who got on my nerves and the teachers mocked me for being there at 22 to the point that I didn't want to go anymore.
    But I can't keep drifting from one low paid, menial job to another. So thanks for the info, advice and support.

I'll let you know how it goes

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies,I appreciate it.
    I've always thought that apprenticeships were for school leavers. I wish I had done more while I was at school in planning for my future, if I could go back 8 years things would be different. Our careers advisors commitment and knowledge was questionable, a father who just seemed to shout alot and a mother who's opinion on my choices were "whatever you do, I'll support you", I've kind of just plodded along believing that I can't do better.
    It wasn't until I was 19 that I realised that at college you can do more than A-levels, and at that point I figured I was too old. When I got round to trying out college (at 22) I was with 16 year olds who got on my nerves and the teachers mocked me for being there at 22 to the point that I didn't want to go anymore.
    But I can't keep drifting from one low paid, menial job to another. So thanks for the info, advice and support.

I'll let you know how it goes
    I know how you feel.

I'm not questioning my parents but I was also in your shoes. Father didn't really say much and well mother just wanted what was best and to go to uni, even if I didn't want to. All they did say was knuckle down when at school because you'll regret it (if you don't) when you're older, did I listen?

But don't give up. I must have applied for at least 5/6 apprenticeships before finally getting the one I wanted, and that was over a 4 year period.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.