Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I'm new here and a former student. My husband is currently a student in final year. He had a research assignment for undergraduate degree to hand in on Tuesday at 4pm. He printed it at home (knowing that the university printers may be temperamental and have long queues). All he needed to do was get it bound. He tried a place on the Monday but this was now closed and went to get it done at the uni (a student recommended). He got there just after 3pm and found that there was only one binder and it was self service. So people were queuing and taking forever to bind. No staff helped and my husband and another student helped those in front to bind so it could be done quickly.

There were other students pushing in front all the while and staff not doing anything. When they got to the submission desk it was literally just after 4pm - I'm talking a couple of minutes if that. All students after 4pm (by even a second) were marked as 'late'. Apparently just before my husband turned up to the desk, a few students had tried to grab the box of the staff member trying to escape on the dot to take the papers. This complaint had reached tutors and I think there is a case of office politics being played and these students are being 'made an example' of. I know rules are rules but common sense should surely prevail?

Are all universities so strict on late submission. I know at the medical school I worked at, depending on the staff member - you had a few minutes leeway at least.

ReputationRep:
    Surely if there's an ongoing queue of students and it takes it past the 4pm mark, it's grossly unfair to say those queuing past 4pm are now late...:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bounty1)
    Hello all,

I'm new here and a former student. My husband is currently a student in final year. He had a research assignment for undergraduate degree to hand in on Tuesday at 4pm. He printed it at home (knowing that the university printers may be temperamental and have long queues). All he needed to do was get it bound. He tried a place on the Monday but this was now closed and went to get it done at the uni (a student recommended). He got there just after 3pm and found that there was only one binder and it was self service. So people were queuing and taking forever to bind. No staff helped and my husband and another student helped those in front to bind so it could be done quickly.

There were other students pushing in front all the while and staff not doing anything. When they got to the submission desk it was literally just after 4pm - I'm talking a couple of minutes if that. All students after 4pm (by even a second) were marked as 'late'. Apparently just before my husband turned up to the desk, a few students had tried to grab the box of the staff member trying to escape on the dot to take the papers. This complaint had reached tutors and I think there is a case of office politics being played and these students are being 'made an example' of. I know rules are rules but common sense should surely prevail?

Are all universities so strict on late submission. I know at the medical school I worked at, depending on the staff member - you had a few minutes leeway at least.
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Surely if there's an ongoing queue of students and it takes it past the 4pm mark, it's grossly unfair to say those queuing past 4pm are now late...:confused:
    A deadline is the last possible time something can be submitted. You can submit any time prior to this time. At the end of the day (don't mean this to sound harsh) but your husband should have managed his time better in order to complete the assignment, and hand it in on time.

You should never leave assignments to the last minute to print off etc, as anything can go wrong. I always set myself a deadline of 2/3 days prior to the actual deadline, so that I know if any issues arise, then I can deal with them and still submit my work on time. I NEVER submit work on the day of the deadline as I know most students (who leave it to the last minute) will be trying to print and bind and what not.

Whether someone submits at 4:01 or 7:01 - it was still late, as it wasn't in by the time it was supposed to be There is nothing grossly unfair about it. University is a strict place. Therefore, his mark may be capped, as it was late.

ReputationRep:
    Joey, even the time stamp said 3.58pm so who is to say that it is technically late? I used to work in a student office and if it was obvious that a student had tried hard to get in, I let a minute or two go - why mess it up for people. Yes Knalchemist, you have a point, people could do it for the day before. However where I was working, the medics were on placement so had to come in specifically. They had to make the effort to come in from miles away just to submit. I wasn't going to be that harsh on them. My husband already accounted for uni printers being unreliable and had printed his work at home. You would have thought that an hour was more than long enough to get binding done. Would love for it to have been completed 2/3 days prior but we have two kids under 3. We sent them to grandparents so that my husband had space to work - he was on placement only 6 weeks prior to this.

To add insult to injury; although tutors asked for the work to be in on Tuesday, when normally it is Thursday, they will not be marking it over the Easter and in fact not marking it within the uni stated 4 week deadline!!

How can anyone be sure that the clock/watch they use is set accurate and that it is 4.01pm or a second to 4pm? I agree that there needs to be a cut off but it doesnt require any new policy - you just say 'oh, its snowing and some hazardous roads...we'll not worry about anything up to 4/5 mins on this occasion' or whatever.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.