Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why Sussex offer a minimum of AAA despite much more reputable UNI's, especially those in the Russell Group have the same requirements - York, Warwick, Exeter, etc.

Could anyone explain to me if Sussex is a good institution for Law or if it is one of those UNIs that requires high grades and gets its results based on the fact that they get the pick of the hardest working students, rather than their teaching staff being of a high standard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpleTom)
    I don't understand why Sussex offer a minimum of AAA despite much more reputable UNI's, especially those in the Russell Group have the same requirements - York, Warwick, Exeter, etc.

Could anyone explain to me if Sussex is a good institution for Law or if it is one of those UNIs that requires high grades and gets its results based on the fact that they get the pick of the hardest working students, rather than their teaching staff being of a high standard.
    Sussex ranks 20/96 for The Time's Law Rankings, and 19/97 for The Guardian's Law Rankings.

It seems to be a good institution, it's higher ranked than some Russell Group Unis. Being a Brick Uni isn't everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01Chris02)
    Sussex ranks 20/96 for The Time's Law Rankings, and 19/97 for The Guardian's Law Rankings.

It seems to be a good institution, it's higher ranked than some Russell Group Unis. Being a Brick Uni isn't everything!
    I know it is ranked well, however my point is, is that because it sets its grade boundaries so high?

I am making my decision at the moment and all mine are AAA offers - just curious as to why anyone would pick Sussex over York or Warwick say - which are top 10 and the same offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpleTom)
    I know it is ranked well, however my point is, is that because it sets its grade boundaries so high?

I am making my decision at the moment and all mine are AAA offers - just curious as to why anyone would pick Sussex over York or Warwick say - which are top 10 and the same offer.
    Just because it' the same offer doesn't mean it's just as easy to get into, otherwise why should York be offering AAB for Law if Oxford is offering the same and why would anyone go to York over Oxford right...

Plus not everyone is necessarily a prestige/reputation whore, other concerns come into it as well. I'm not applying for Law, but I chose not to even apply to York because the surrounding area didn't suit my personal taste when i visited, despite the fact that it's "better" for my course, and now Sussex is my firm.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.