Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am 17 years old and home-schooled. I have been studying for 5 A-Levels for 6 months, but I realised theatsince I have 4 IGCSE's, I would need another to be able to attend college (essential for studying English and Philosophy). So I have chosen to Edexcel IGCSE English Literature.

I started studying in Jan for the May exam, and things are going well (studying Much Ado about Nothing and Of Mice and Men), but for the time it takes me to write my essays. It takes 1 hr to write an essay which I must complete in 45 mins MAX during the exam. I am making plans for my essays to stop myself from rambling on, and I am trying to keep to the time, but I simply cannot.

Any advice for getting my essay timings down?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing IGCSE English Lit and Of Mice and Men too

While doing past papers remember to time yourself, maybe set an alarm for halfway/ 3/4 of the way through, then you'll know that you have to keep it short. In the exam, think about the main points you need to get across, talk about them only and try not to ramble or beat around the bush (i know i do, on one of my practice exams for English Lang i ran out of space )
    You just have to work on your exam technique, i'm sure you'll be able to find lots of tips online too, Good luck!

Edit; I'm using York Notes for GCSE for Of Mice and Men, it's really helpful!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.