Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently a 1st year at PCMD and last October i was attacked quite badly in Exeter, left with a broken jaw and a lot of bruising. Since then i've been suffering from panic attacks, general anxiety etc. The guys got caught and I had to testify in court against them which was a pretty horrible experience to be honest.

I'm in full contact with the pastoral staff and have a fair amount of counselling to deal with it all but last night I was admitted to hospital after having a severe panic attack in the centre of Manchester (home) and ended up passing out for a good while and generally ending up in a bad way. It's the fifth i've had an episode like that since the assault but this was by far the worst.

I'm just not sure if i can return to Exeter any more. I have a constant fear of attack associated with Exeter and i've had a couple of run ins with the people that assaulted me which i've reported to the police but unfortunately it's my word against theirs. I absolutely love my course, my uni, my flat mates and i've settled in so well. I just can't deal with Exeter any more, it's completely screwing up my work patterns and having a real impact. I basically don't know what to do about this whole situation.

I'm going to have a serious discussion with the med school when i return from Easter break about my options but I was just wondering if anybody has had any experience of transferring due to mitigating circumstances etc.

Any advice would be great
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeaceFreak)
    I'm currently a 1st year at PCMD and last October i was attacked quite badly in Exeter, left with a broken jaw and a lot of bruising. Since then i've been suffering from panic attacks, general anxiety etc. The guys got caught and I had to testify in court against them which was a pretty horrible experience to be honest.

I'm in full contact with the pastoral staff and have a fair amount of counselling to deal with it all but last night I was admitted to hospital after having a severe panic attack in the centre of Manchester (home) and ended up passing out for a good while and generally ending up in a bad way. It's the fifth i've had an episode like that since the assault but this was by far the worst.

I'm just not sure if i can return to Exeter any more. I have a constant fear of attack associated with Exeter and i've had a couple of run ins with the people that assaulted me which i've reported to the police but unfortunately it's my word against theirs. I absolutely love my course, my uni, my flat mates and i've settled in so well. I just can't deal with Exeter any more, it's completely screwing up my work patterns and having a real impact. I basically don't know what to do about this whole situation.

I'm going to have a serious discussion with the med school when i return from Easter break about my options but I was just wondering if anybody has had any experience of transferring due to mitigating circumstances etc.

Any advice would be great
    Sorry to hear about this mate.

That is pretty unusual to happen in Exeter, thats such a shame.

Do you think that the anxiety would be better if you transfered to say Manchester?

Are you considering transfering away from PCMD or asking to be moved to say Plymouth?

Do you think that with the appropriate support from peers, and the school that you would get through it?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.