Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Chemistry 3X EMPA practise paper june 2012 HELP!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am trying to revise for my EMPA exam and I became a little confused on this question on the June 2012 paper. Appreciate any insight as to what to do!!

Q4a) Use your graph and initial temperature of HCL to determine the accurate value for the average temperature of the reagents at the fourth minute (before mixing).

If my initial temperature of HCL is 22 where would my temperature on the graph be? Would i measure it from 4 minutes and draw a straight line up to the extrapolation line above near the 5th minute and take away the two temperatures, or would i draw it from the x axis and measure upwards?

How would i do the calculation?

And the second one:

b)use your graph to determine an accurate value for the temperature of the reaction mixture at the fourth minute (after mixing)

Where would this be on the graph???

Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmab52)
    Hello,

I am trying to revise for my EMPA exam and I became a little confused on this question on the June 2012 paper. Appreciate any insight as to what to do!!

Q4a) Use your graph and initial temperature of HCL to determine the accurate value for the average temperature of the reagents at the fourth minute (before mixing).

If my initial temperature of HCL is 22 where would my temperature on the graph be? Would i measure it from 4 minutes and draw a straight line up to the extrapolation line above near the 5th minute and take away the two temperatures, or would i draw it from the x axis and measure upwards?

How would i do the calculation?

And the second one:

b)use your graph to determine an accurate value for the temperature of the reaction mixture at the fourth minute (after mixing)

Where would this be on the graph???

Thank you in advance.
    I'm finding it hard to visualise your problem, but the average temp. before the mixing is just the sum of all the values of T before the fourth minute divided by the number of values you have.
    For the second part I think you're looking for the temp. of the mixture at the fourth minute is the intersection of the line connecting your data points and the extrapolated line that you drew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    I'm finding it hard to visualise your problem, but the average temp. before the mixing is just the sum of all the values of T before the fourth minute divided by the number of values you have.
    For the second part I think you're looking for the temp. of the mixture at the fourth minute is the intersection of the line connecting your data points and the extrapolated line that you drew.
    Thanks, I've figured it out from what you have said thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmab52)
    Thanks, I've figured it out from what you have said thanks
    NP

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.