The Student Room Group

LSBU with A*AA?

I got A*AA for my A levels and was pushed straight into university. I went to 2 RG universities but dropped out when I realized that I didn't like university. I jacked in university completely and decided to do an engineering apprenticeship but while I am waiting to hear if I got in my dad convinced me to give university one more try. I looked at why I hated it last time and agreed.

Why I went last time:

Went to look smart
Went to make friends
Went to get lost in the world of research.

Now that I'm a couple of years older and fees are so expensive i am going purely to get a bachelors and then get a job i.e career plan. So my requirements now are that I want somewhere that's in London (not too far from Tottenham), somewhere that does clearing for this year and LSBU ticks all those boxes. Ive looked at City and Queen Mary university but they are more highly ranked so I doubt they do clearing for mech eng. Brunel, Kingston etc is too far.

So to summarize If in August bot Queen Mary and City university aren't in clearing for mech eng will saving a year of waiting and just going to South Bank university massively disadvantage me in my career? I don't care about rep so long as employers don't care.

PS even with A*AA I somehow don't have the grades for Imperial College. Done with super big name universities anyway.
Reply 1
bump
Make a UCAS application now and go into Extra if you can? Not sure if the deadline has passed but I was under the impression you could do this. See what unis are in Extra, if you don't like any of them then wait for Clearing? LSBU is consistently low in league tables but apparently that's because it's more for mature students or something. I'm sure with A*AA grades employers will know you could've had your pick of the top unis but it would probably still be better to have QM or something on your CV instead.
Reply 3
Original post by infairverona
Make a UCAS application now and go into Extra if you can? Not sure if the deadline has passed but I was under the impression you could do this. See what unis are in Extra, if you don't like any of them then wait for Clearing? LSBU is consistently low in league tables but apparently that's because it's more for mature students or something. I'm sure with A*AA grades employers will know you could've had your pick of the top unis but it would probably still be better to have QM or something on your CV instead.

I'm actually a mature student. This is great news I was looking for a place with mostly mature students. Extra? never thought of that. Ok I will give that a try. Thanks a lot.
Reply 4
Original post by peter12345
I got A*AA for my A levels and was pushed straight into university. I went to 2 RG universities but dropped out when I realized that I didn't like university. I jacked in university completely and decided to do an engineering apprenticeship but while I am waiting to hear if I got in my dad convinced me to give university one more try. I looked at why I hated it last time and agreed.

Why I went last time:

Went to look smart
Went to make friends
Went to get lost in the world of research.

Now that I'm a couple of years older and fees are so expensive i am going purely to get a bachelors and then get a job i.e career plan. So my requirements now are that I want somewhere that's in London (not too far from Tottenham), somewhere that does clearing for this year and LSBU ticks all those boxes. Ive looked at City and Queen Mary university but they are more highly ranked so I doubt they do clearing for mech eng. Brunel, Kingston etc is too far.

So to summarize If in August bot Queen Mary and City university aren't in clearing for mech eng will saving a year of waiting and just going to South Bank university massively disadvantage me in my career? I don't care about rep so long as employers don't care.

PS even with A*AA I somehow don't have the grades for Imperial College. Done with super big name universities anyway.

dude mechanical engineering always has clearing spaces, last year both queen mary and city had clearing spaces so i would try there
Reply 5
Original post by sucess
dude mechanical engineering always has clearing spaces, last year both queen mary and city had clearing spaces so i would try there

This.
Reply 6
Original post by sucess

Original post by Jeid1
This.

Yesss! Thanks you made my day! But why? There's always a shortage of engineers so why isn't anyone doing it?
Reply 7
Original post by peter12345
Yesss! Thanks you made my day! But why? There's always a shortage of engineers so why isn't anyone doing it?

Merely because of what the degree entails. 9-5 4 days a week bar the independent work you have to put in.
Reply 8
Original post by Jeid1
Merely because of what the degree entails. 9-5 4 days a week bar the independent work you have to put in.

Sorry to hijack but this post has slightly scared me, is such a timetable much different from other science/maths related courses?
Reply 9
Original post by Jeid1

I see.
Original post by dada55
Sorry to hijack but this post has slightly scared me, is such a timetable much different from other science/maths related courses?

I'm not scared. No pain, no gain.
Reply 10
Original post by dada55

I wouldn't know but from what I do know I'm making the assumption that people prefer to go into a straight maths/physics degree instead of engineering due to the application of knowledge involved rather than just learning theory.

Quick Reply

Latest