Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for History at Manchester, and History and Politics at York, and had offers from both, but don't know which to put as my firm. I am leaning towards Manchester, but my friends have told me that I should go to York as it has one of the best departments for History and is the better uni, while Manchester is more science-oriented than the arts/humanities. The course content from both is good, both universities have a nice environment despite one being a city and another a town. I think it's all down to preference.

Which do I pick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prestoria)
    I think it's all down to preference.

Which do I pick?
    Exactly. And it is YOUR preference, not that of people on here.

ReputationRep:
    There's no difference between York and Manchester in terms of prestige.

The more important questions are: would you prefer to do single honours History or joint with Politics and which city do you prefer? From my experience, a joint honours gives you a lot more flexibility (not just within the two subjects but it also opens up other subjects) and York is a nicer city. And by 'nicer' I also mean more 'boring', i.e. it's got nice quaint pubs and lots of tradition, history and culture; cobbled streets, second-hand book shops and amazing little tea rooms. There's more 'going on' in Manchester but it is more orientated towards clubbing, far more 'modern' and less interesting in my opinion. York is more unique and less student-y.

You may have a completely different preference, so just go by that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Exactly. And it is YOUR preference, not that of people on here.

(Original post by maskofsanity)
    There's no difference between York and Manchester in terms of prestige.

The more important questions are: would you prefer to do single honours History or joint with Politics and which city do you prefer? From my experience, a joint honours gives you a lot more flexibility (not just within the two subjects but it also opens up other subjects) and York is a nicer city. And by 'nicer' I also mean more 'boring', i.e. it's got nice quaint pubs and lots of tradition, history and culture; cobbled streets, second-hand book shops and amazing little tea rooms. There's more 'going on' in Manchester but it is more orientated towards clubbing, far more 'modern' and less interesting in my opinion. York is more unique and less student-y.

You may have a completely different preference, so just go by that.
    Thank you for both of your replies - has given some food for thought. I suppose I should examine it in closer detail. Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for History at Manchester, and History and Politics at York, and had offers from both, but don't know which to put as my firm. I am leaning towards Manchester, but my friends have told me that I should go to York as it has one of the best departments for History and is the better uni, while Manchester is more science-oriented than the arts/humanities. The course content from both is good, both universities have a nice environment despite one being a city and another a town. I think it's all down to preference.

Which do I pick?
    If you want to go to Manchester, then go there. York does have the better course, I would say, but you may enjoy Manchester more as a place. I really didn't like York when I went to the open day; the history course sounded great but had completely the wrong vibe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pricey26)
    If you want to go to Manchester, then go there. York does have the better course, I would say, but you may enjoy Manchester more as a place. I really didn't like York when I went to the open day; the history course sounded great but had completely the wrong vibe.
    Yeah, even though I'm not much of a city person, I didn't feel that York was somewhere I could feel completely comfortable in. I think I'm leaning more and more towards Manchester, so probably that's the right choice. Thank you for your input, it is sincerely appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, even though I'm not much of a city person, I didn't feel that York was somewhere I could feel completely comfortable in. I think I'm leaning more and more towards Manchester, so probably that's the right choice. Thank you for your input, it is sincerely appreciated!
    That's okay. Part of me felt, like your friends are saying, that I should go for York because it's so good for the course, but when I went back I just couldn't see myself there. Decided to go with Exeter and hoping I get the grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pricey26)
    That's okay. Part of me felt, like your friends are saying, that I should go for York because it's so good for the course, but when I went back I just couldn't see myself there. Decided to go with Exeter and hoping I get the grades
    Good luck with that, Exeter sounds great!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2013
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.