Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need to buy a game... Don't know which one Watch

ReputationRep:
    Long story short... I've never had the opportunity to play video games a lot and I'd like to take it up now.

I want to buy one but I dont know which. I want something current, something for lack of a better phrase 'really cool'.

I've heard about Bioshock Infinite... I played the first game in the series for a bit.... I liked it and found it cool, but I'm not so great with the whole shooter aspect of things.

I REALL REALLY enjoy city management games like Sim City 4, but I've heard the new sim city has a very limited city building area.

Lastly, the game should be compatible with a Macbook pro or at least have an upcoming port of sorts.

So, any suggestions ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ari Ben Canaan)
    Long story short... I've never had the opportunity to play video games a lot and I'd like to take it up now.

I want to buy one but I dont know which. I want something current, something for lack of a better phrase 'really cool'.

I've heard about Bioshock Infinite... I played the first game in the series for a bit.... I liked it and found it cool, but I'm not so great with the whole shooter aspect of things.

I REALL REALLY enjoy city management games like Sim City 4, but I've heard the new sim city has a very limited city building area.

Lastly, the game should be compatible with a Macbook pro or at least have an upcoming port of sorts.

So, any suggestions ?
    If you're willing to try a fantasy RPG - The Witcher 2 is incredible. Make sure you've got a macbook pro with a dedicated graphics card before you buy it, otherwise it will not run.

There's also Batman: Arkham City and Skyrim, both of which are non-shooter games that you should definitely play!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Intriguing Alias)
    If you're willing to try a fantasy RPG - The Witcher 2 is incredible. Make sure you've got a macbook pro with a dedicated graphics card before you buy it, otherwise it will not run.

There's also Batman: Arkham City and Skyrim, both of which are non-shooter games that you should definitely play!
    Hey !!

I have Skyrim and Batman and I do enjoy them, but I've sort of taken a long break from due to a lack of time.

The Witcher 2 .... I remember seeing a gameplay of it. Is it available for Macs now ?

My system specs are :

Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Is that good enough for the Witcher 2 ?

Do you have any more suggestions ?

ReputationRep:
    Played Deus Ex: Human Revolution? That game is ace.

ReputationRep:
    RuneScape - the massive online MMORPG game by JaGeX.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betacra)
    Played Deus Ex: Human Revolution? That game is ace.
    Okay, another good one. I'll keep it in mind.

(Original post by UKBrah)
    Funny.

ReputationRep:
    I sank a LOT of time in Civ5
    Not sure if it's mac friendly though, might be something to check

ReputationRep:
    Okay, another good one. I'll keep it in mind.

Funny.
    You taking the piss mate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKBrah)
    I don't understand that game, it's so fecking boring.

ReputationRep:
    Bioshock Infinite is well worth your money. Buy it. Also, buy it.

ReputationRep:

So, any suggestions ?

City Builder:

You could check out Tropico 4 - no online crap like SimCity and less limitations (EA purposefully limit new games like you mention so that they can try and sell you DLCs to fill it in). Similar theme, good fun, and probably quite cheap now.

RPG/Open World:

It's always worth looking back a year or two and getting TESV: Skyrim on PC, there are so many mods I can recommend that will make the game five times as pretty, twice as big and ten times as fun (and it's amazing to begin with). It is combat-centred, but it's swords, bows, magic, stealth... Whatever floats your boat, and not as demanding as a modern shooter with regards to aiming and killing things, and more about strategy and your character's skills and equipment.

Strategy:

Empire: Total War will probably be quite cheap now, but still boasts impressive graphics and is an amazing game. Additionally, install DarthMod Empire and it becomes five times as good and fixes everything that was missing or underwhelming in the vanilla game.

Total War Shogun 2 is also an excellent game, especially if you prefer samurai to marching 18th Century colonial armies across the world. Similarly has a DarthMod that greatly enhances every aspect of it.

If you prefer space stuff:

Sins of a Solar Empire
    is once again reasonably priced by now, and is all-round a good game. And with so many major mods out there, you can play all sorts of variations and even Halo and Star Wars conversions of the game engine.

Endless Space is simply an amazing, amazing turn-based space strategy. It's a joy just to use, the interface is so clean, but it's under constant development by a company who use their forums and a 'Games2Gether' polling setup on their website to actually listen to what players are asking to be added to the game.

ReputationRep:
    walking dead : the game has good story line, jumpscares, and the ending is pretty unexpected. give it a try man.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.