Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im currently doing AS physics, maths, further maths, chemistry and im looking to apply for A&F at LSE, Bath, Warwick for entry in 2014 so far. I need help on how to write and A&F personal statement, what to include, and i was wondering whether i had a suitable subject combination. Economics wasnt offered at my school and i would have probably taken that up aswell, but there you go.
    I got AAB in my first january exams, i did lots a silly mistakes which i hope wont happen again.
    GSCE's are 7A*,4A and 1B
    I think im predicited A*A*AA at A level,
    what are my chances and advice on PS please

ReputationRep:
    Also and books that i could read to improve my chances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vinhsica)
    Hi, im currently doing AS physics, maths, further maths, chemistry and im looking to apply for A&F at LSE, Bath, Warwick for entry in 2014 so far. I need help on how to write and A&F personal statement, what to include, and i was wondering whether i had a suitable subject combination. Economics wasnt offered at my school and i would have probably taken that up aswell, but there you go.
    I got AAB in my first january exams, i did lots a silly mistakes which i hope wont happen again.
    GSCE's are 7A*,4A and 1B
    Why don't you check out the TSR personal statement wiki at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...tement_Library as a start

You've got plenty of time to be thinking about it but maybe start to think about what skills you have developed are relevant to the course and especially the reasons why you want to study A&F.

ReputationRep:
    GSCE's are 7A*,4A and 1B
    I applied to LSE, Warwick, Bristol, Durham and Nottingham and got offers from all of them apart from LSE.

From my experience the main thing are the grades. Your GCSEs seem good enough for the three unis you mentioned. For AS, try and get A grades across the board with an A*AA+ prediction to stand a good chance for LSE, Warwick. Warwick may however question your lack of a social science at A2- and may make you write an essay on a question which they'll give you after you submit your app.

For the personal statement you need to show your interest in Accounting AND finance. I myself split my PS into intro, accounting para, finance para, ECS, Conclusion. Others however may structure it as: intro, accounting and finance mixed para, ECs, Conclusion.

Interest can be shown by:
    - Talking about interesting stories in the accounting and finance world and then linking these to
    1) Relevant books read
    2) Seminars attended (Uni public lectures_
    - Mentioning your career aspirations and how the course will help you achieve them
    - Work Experience (look up KPMG, Deloitte accounting GAP programs)
    - Other relevant courses- i.e. finance etc.
    - Business competitions (young enterprise)
    - Give a talk yourself on an interesting topic

Then (not sure if they care about this)- but show useful ECs (for me sport, music, volunteering and prefect role)- showing well-roundedness, leadership, communication and team work.

ReputationRep:
    May i ask what your grades were.

Also, i havent had any relevant work experience so should i mention any work experience i had at all, even though its not relevant to A&F.

Also, was there a reason that you werent admitted into LSE, did they send you a reason,

It has been my dream uni, because of the optional modules and the way they teach and structure there learning.

ReputationRep:
    May i ask what your grades were.

Also, i havent had any relevant work experience so should i mention any work experience i had at all, even though its not relevant to A&F.

Also, was there a reason that you werent admitted into LSE, did they send you a reason,

It has been my dream uni, because of the optional modules and the way they teach and structure there learning.
    It's many peoples dream uni because of the fact it's in London and it's prestige.

I got ABB in A levels, and applied with an AAA prediction. 9A* 2A in GCSE. LSE said that although my predictions were good, my achieved grades over the two years weren't good enough- which is a fair point.

Most people will tell you work experience does not matter. It probably doesn't when you have the grades. However, six months at a big 4 accounting firm was the main positive of my application, especially as the A level grades were poor.

As I said before, to give yourself the best chance- do well academically. Then, show an interest in both accounting and finance.

ReputationRep:
    thank so much for you help

ReputationRep:
    thank so much for you help
    No problem at all. Good luck for your application!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.