Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My laptop has been manifesting intermittent connectivity issues since November. Every day it will randomly stop working for around ten minutes at a time. It often happens several times a day, at random points.

Initially I thought the issue was temperamental wireless signal, due to distance from the hub and thick walls. However, since I invested in power line adaptors, I've noticed absolutely no difference. The internet works or fails to work according to the same pattern, no matter whether I'm accessing it wirelessly or through an ethernet cable.

My husband also studies at home, so I am able to compare his laptop to mine. I've also compared it with my netbook during the blackouts. Mr Craggy experiences reliable, strong connection all the time. He doesn't have any problem accessing reliable internet signal when he's in my office either. My netbook definitely has a much weaker signal in my office than it does closer to the hub, but it also seems to access the internet fine when my laptop with all the blackouts is not working.

I was just hoping for some advice on what to do from here. Do I contact Toshiba to consider repairs? The laptop is three years old, so not under warranty. But I don't know where else I would go?
    Or do you think that its more cost effective to invest in a new machine?
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Thanks in advance.
    :wavey:

Do you know how to boot into Safe Mode and have you tried it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    :wavey:

Do you know how to boot into Safe Mode and have you tried it?
    I could work it out. What would that do?

ReputationRep:
    I could work it out. What would that do?
    It's typically a case of repeatedly hitting one of the F keys as your computer starts up to bring up the menu, but it can differ between manufacturers and models. Google the full name of your laptop (The model number should be printed on it somewhere) along with "safe mode" and it should be easy enough to find. From here follow the instructions then choose to boot into "safe mode with networking", and continue using the laptop as normal for a while. If you notice the issue is gone, then it means some piece of software is affecting your connection when booted conventionally. If the issue persists, then it could be a case of needing to reinstall the network drivers or get a repair. Let me know what happens and we'll go from there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    It's typically a case of repeatedly hitting one of the F keys as your computer starts up to bring up the menu, but it can differ between manufacturers and models. Google the full name of your laptop (The model number should be printed on it somewhere) along with "safe mode" and it should be easy enough to find. From here follow the instructions then choose to boot into "safe mode with networking", and continue using the laptop as normal for a while. If you notice the issue is gone, then it means some piece of software is affecting your connection when booted conventionally. If the issue persists, then it could be a case of needing to reinstall the network drivers or get a repair. Let me know what happens and we'll go from there
    Thanks a lot for your help. I'll give that a go :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Hi Gofre I ran it in safe mode for a few hours this afternoon. The connection blacked out for a spell just as it always does. I was only running Chrome.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Gofre I ran it in safe mode for a few hours this afternoon. The connection blacked out for a spell just as it always does. I was only running Chrome.
    Sorry for the late reply!

The next thing I would recommend then is reinstalling your network drivers, if you head over to Toshiba's support site you will be able to find the right drivers and instructions on how to install them for your particular machine. If it persists, then a repair seems to be next on the cards :erm: If it goes that way it may be costly, some manufacturers charge you just to figure out what's wrong with the machine, so if you'd rather buy a new one feel free to drop me a PM :yep:

(Original post by Iqbal007)
    :hi:
    Quoting you in, in case you can think of something I may have overlooked :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    No need to apologise. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.
    The next thing I would recommend then is reinstalling your network drivers, if you head over to Toshiba's support site you will be able to find the right drivers and instructions on how to install them for your particular machine. If it persists, then a repair seems to be next on the cards :erm: If it goes that way it may be costly, some manufacturers charge you just to figure out what's wrong with the machine, so if you'd rather buy a new one feel free to drop me a PM :yep:
    Thanks a lot! I'll give that a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)

Quoting you in, in case you can think of something I may have overlooked :holmes:
    Sorry nope, I would have said it was the network driver.
    Other than that it could be a hardware issue.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like a hardware issue with a faulty card, although it could simply just be a case of reinstalling the drivers and hey-presto it works again.

If it does amount to a faulty network card you can either get it replaced or just buy a wireless adapter off eBay and use that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    It sounds like a hardware issue with a faulty card, although it could simply just be a case of reinstalling the drivers and hey-presto it works again.

If it does amount to a faulty network card you can either get it replaced or just buy a wireless adapter off eBay and use that.
    Interesting :beard: I own a wireless adaptor (although its from like 2005, so probably crap)... I could give that a try too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)

It seems more likely that both LAN and WLAN drivers are dodgy than both cards have hardware problems.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting :beard: I own a wireless adaptor (although its from like 2005, so probably crap)... I could give that a try too.
    Regardless of age most of the newer models all work the same as the old ones. If that doesn't work then I haven't got a clue, because it's almost the same as replacing the card.

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I've downloaded and run a LAN driver and Modem driver from the list available on the Toshiba website for my laptop model. Are there any others related to my problem that I should also download? The driver names can be a bit obscure, so I'm not really sure. I've attached a list to this post (couldn't copy and paste).
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Drivers.docx (34.8 KB, 64 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)

Just got off the phone speaking to Toshiba technical support. They think the problem sounds really odd and they don't know what it could be. But they want me to restore my laptop to factory settings :erm: This sounds like a bad idea to me, just because there are probably some things on my computer that I can't easily get back. For instance I don't know if I've actually got my product licence written down anywhere for Office 2010...

I'm a bit pessimistic about sending it off to someone for repair, because how do I know they won't just plug it in, realise that its connecting to the internet fine, and then send it back? The connectivity only blacks out once every couple of hours or so, and I can't picture them leaving my laptop on and monitoring it...

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.