Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that Acts are not really Laws and that according to Blacks Law Dictionary, Acts only have the full force of Law, upon the consent of the governed.

Does anyone know anything about this?

ReputationRep:
    Acts of Parliament are pretty much the most primary form of a law there is. Once an Act gets royal assent, it's law.
    (Such laws will be made by Parliament, who were voted in, and therefore indirectly have consent from the governed, i.e. the public).

ReputationRep:
    Yes to conform with thecrimsonidol, an act of Parliament becomes law once it is brought into force or enacted.

ReputationRep:
    What about acts that sanction slavery? Are they laws? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    What about acts that sanction slavery? Are they laws? :holmes:
    Technically yes, if Parliament passed any.

(Unless you're a legal naturalist and don't believe that a morall unjust law can really be law...see Lon Fuller. But that's another discussion)

ReputationRep:
    very few people have the capacity to not be governed, i.e. they don't have a "person" (birth certificate / miss/mr etc )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.