Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I will be starting university this year for the first time and I'm excited but unsure of what to expect so I need some advice . What sort of things do you need to bring to lectures? Is it the case that you have to have laptops and stuff cause I'd hate to be that person sitting with a notebook and pen amongst a lecture room full of fancy people with laptops haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniferHepburn)
    I will be starting university this year for the first time and I'm excited but unsure of what to expect so I need some advice . What sort of things do you need to bring to lectures? Is it the case that you have to have laptops and stuff cause I'd hate to be that person sitting with a notebook and pen amongst a lecture room full of fancy people with laptops haha!
    I think it depends very much on the type of course you're doing. I'm doing chemistry and the majority use pen and paper, as trying to input skeletal formulae is impossible on word!

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you're studying. My friend studies Graphic design - so he always takes his laptop with him. I'm studying Law and rarely take my laptop, as I prefer to write with pen and paper as it's faster.

ReputationRep:
    Social Work and never use my laptop in lectures.

ReputationRep:
    It would be evil to have lectures on your first day.. we had an orientation week. And **** the people on the laptops, bun them, they are nothing to you.

ReputationRep:
    i type a lot faster on the laptop, also i can't read my own handwriting so yeah :c

ReputationRep:
    We print all our powerpoint slides beforehand and takes notes on them, seeing a laptop in lectures is rare, and on the occasions I have seen one, they're not taking notes :lol:

First day at uni...I waved a massive tub of jelly beans in my flatmates faces, got lost on the way to the pub to meet people from my course (who I knew from facebook because I was a bit of a facebook whore :lol:), spent the night flitting around groups of people from my course, my flatmates, and other people I knew from facebook. Lost my voice halfway through freshers week, had a lab on Thursday morning which was quite frankly just cruel, mostly freaked out during the introductory lectures about how we can get kicked off for any tiny old thing really. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    :eek: I love that you're already thinking about September. I can't even think about the end of this uni term without going into a panic, ha!

Anyway, the majority of people on my course use paper and pen. The first actual week for me was filled with introductions for each module; what to expect, going through how assignments works etc. Just a lot a listening and a chance to meet everyone who are doing the same modules as you.

ReputationRep:
    biomed and no one uses a laptop as almost everything is on blackboard, only one chalk and talk lesson and you need a note book as you have to draw quick diagrams

ReputationRep:
    Some people use laptops, others use pen and paper. I tend to have phases of using one or the other. No one is going to care what you actually have.

That said, you will want to have a computer at uni. You'll be doing a lot of work on a computer, and it can be difficult to find a computer on campus at busy times, and depending on which uni / halls you're at you may have to schlep a fair distance from halls to reach a computer cluster.

ReputationRep:
    All you really need at uni is some World of Warcraft game time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    We print all our powerpoint slides beforehand and takes notes on them, seeing a laptop in lectures is rare, and on the occasions I have seen one, they're not taking notes :lol:

First day at uni.... :lol:
    I just saw that you go to UEA, I can't wait to go there! :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und3niable_)
    I just saw that you go to UEA, I can't wait to go there! :3
    Yep Just coming to the end of my first year, it's gone by so fast!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    Yep Just coming to the end of my first year, it's gone by so fast!
    Wow, I can't wait. That'll be me next year. Except I'm doing law

ReputationRep:
    First day follows the first night so here is how it goes or mine did at least I woke up got dressed had breakfast and watched a bit TV over my crunchy nut cornflakes then I looked at the schedule an went to a presentation about staying safe in a city as I came from a tiny Village it was relativity useful ( I know from my brother who started a year they moved it from the football stadium because a large percentage of students got lost the previous year.

Then I went to uni Asked for directions to the room I was meant to be in and had a tour of the university then went to get my campus card and signed up to the nus. after that I had lunch and got something that I forgot to bring from my Mum who ferried it down to me.

After lunch we had a diagnostic math test (Booo) but doing electronics it was going to happen so take a calculator with you then we got told exactly how to get kicked out and then signed up to the doctor who refused to see me when I needed him to have a look at my arm (great) then I went back to my halls where I was systematically alienated from my flatmates so I went out with other people (my brother and some of his mates and in the end made my own friends).#]

You will need a laptop if you plan on writing up labs and assignments so yes a PC would be useful as would Microsoft office project and possibly visio. You can alos use it for games if you want good luck.

ReputationRep:
    What people bring: At my uni most people have a pen and paper and sometimes a print off of the lecture because they all go on the internet system the day before as a rule. Some people take netbooks or tablets with keyboards but hardly anyone takes full size laptops because they're a bit bulky and there isn't really that much room for them.

I doubt you'll have any lectures for the first week anyway so you'll have plenty of time to get chatting to other first year students and ask them what they're taking with them. It's not really something you should worry about though lol I don't think anybody really cares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    Depends what you're studying. My friend studies Graphic design - so he always takes his laptop with him. I'm studying Law and rarely take my laptop, as I prefer to write with pen and paper as it's faster.
    How do you find Law? I am going to York next year to do it, providing I get the grades!

ReputationRep:
    the OP is like me: panicking about tiny things that i probably won't even think about as soon as i'm there.

try not to worry about this sort of trivial thing - bring a notebook at first and if everyone has laptops then do that the next time. you will probably meet people in your course in fresher's week, so you'll be able to 'plan'.

xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpleTom)
    How do you find Law? I am going to York next year to do it, providing I get the grades!
    Law is alright actually. In theory it's a really easy subject as all you're doing is regurgitating information from one place to another. It is easy to slack off, but then super hard to catch up, especially with some of the more boring modules which are compulsory.

I really enjoy it. I throw myself in to all my modules doing all the reading I can and trying to get involved with reading extra cases and what not - it all helps to bring up the grades with extra reading haha.

I am in between uni's at the moment. I studied for one year somewhere but was TERRIBLE. So I left and am now going to a 1994 group University in september. I have to start from year 1 but I suppose it means I can get higher grades in the earlier, easier, modules such as Contract and Legal Systems haha.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if people would have laptops in a lecture for a sports based course? Roughly how common is it for people to be taking them to the lecture?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.