Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm an inexperienced programmer, working on my first major programming project (in my own time, not for any course), which is to design a flight-planning system as an add-on utility for Microsoft FSX.

My main concern is designing a 'world-map' onto which I can put airports, VORs, waypoints and so on. The map would need to contain contours, airways, and be capable of displaying weather information (to be downloaded by the user from weather-reporting organisations.

What would be the best way to design this? I don't much mind which programming language to use. I'm familiar with Visual Basic and Javascript, but am willing to use this project to learn one or more different languages if necessary.

I considered some kind of link to Google Earth, but again, as I'm inexperienced, I'm not sure how to implement this.

Finally, would this be better as a program that runs off the users' computer, or as a web-based system? I'm leaning towards web-based, as it would make the frequent updates that would be necessary much easier.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not very sure what you mean.

You want to create a word-map or use Microsoft FSX's?

Either way, your talking about implementing quite complex GIS functionality.

Google uses an XML schema called GML to store vector data. So if you was to use this, you'd need to learn how to parse XML data. Weather information, etc. can be in a variety of formats (raster, vector).

I've never worked with Microsoft FSX, but I'd guess your best bet would be to find out how add-on spatial data is stored and see if you can come up with some kind of conversion method.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BirdieUK)
    I'm not very sure what you mean.

You want to create a word-map or use Microsoft FSX's?

Either way, your talking about implementing quite complex GIS functionality.

Google uses an XML schema called GML to store vector data. So if you was to use this, you'd need to learn how to parse XML data. Weather information, etc. can be in a variety of formats (raster, vector).

I've never worked with Microsoft FSX, but I'd guess your best bet would be to find out how add-on spatial data is stored and see if you can come up with some kind of conversion method.
    I need to create a map of my own ideally. Think Google Maps but with aviation landmarks, such as Airports, VORs, NDBs, Waypoints, Airways and so on. And the software would need to be able to download worldwide weather information in text format, and convert to pictoral format.

Basically I need help deciding whether to take an existing world map such as Google (or FSX, but I have no idea if this is possible, and in any case, I need to be able to store NavData independently), and add on information about airways especially. It would need to use the latitude/longitude co-ordinate system, in order to be able to work out headings, distances and so on between waypoints, also weather needs to be stored onto it, again variables such as wind would affect Track headings, TAS (True AirSpeed) and time between waypoints.

I hope I'm not 'dumbing' down what I need here, I'm just assuming zero knowledge of aviation flight planning, in order to explain programming-wise what I need

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine it to be easier using Google earth (or professional open source software like GRASS). Theres got to be a way to add time if needed.

Don't take my word for it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.