Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey, does anyone know if they drug test in London investment banks? Anyone have any experiences with drug testing during summer internships?

Also, my contract says I have to pass a "medical screening" - could this include a drugs test?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have thought a medical screening would include drugs test, though I couldn't be sure...

Do you know when you are having the test? Make sure you lay off anything for a good length of time before (how long depends what we are talking about here), what bank is it? Someone might be able to give a more specific insight.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather not say what bank but it is a boutique bank.

Do you know anyone who has had drugs tests for summer positions? Would it be right to assume it would be urine tests, and not hair tests?

I've done a bit of MDMA and weed recently but I have stopped.

I have read that these tests are common in the USA but not sure about UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tnkfysxo)
    I'd rather not say what bank but it is a boutique bank.

Do you know anyone who has had drugs tests for summer positions? Would it be right to assume it would be urine tests, and not hair tests?

I've done a bit of MDMA and weed recently but I have stopped.

I have read that these tests are common in the USA but not sure about UK.
    As far as I'm aware it is mainly urine tests for most companies but don't take my word for it! I have three friends who work for ScotRail and they had to pass a drugs test and they get regular spot checks too! I also have a friend who works on wind turbines (which I think is just terrifying) and he also gets regular drugs tests. More common than people think... I think!
    You may find this useful: http://www.passyourdrugtest.com/timetable.htm Don't completely bank on it though! Depends how much you've had, how often and on the person!

ReputationRep:
    Oh s*** lol anyone know how long it takes weed to leave the system

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunally weed takes MUCH longer than any other drug. But there are detox's you can do, google it for better advice than TSR can give.

ReputationRep:
    So does anyone know what banks do drug testing?

ReputationRep:
    Cranberry juice is your friend...

ReputationRep:
    Any seroius answers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tnkfysxo)
    Any seroius answers?
    I haven't been drug tested for any previous internship. Don't know about full time. I believe the cost of these tests can get quite high, so I wouldn't think that a boutique firm has any reason to perform them that a large firm doesn't.

Just detox yourself and don't mess around with drugs if you're going to get paranoid about them affecting your professional life, it's not worth the risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MinorityInterest)
    I haven't been drug tested for any previous internship. Don't know about full time. I believe the cost of these tests can get quite high, so I wouldn't think that a boutique firm has any reason to perform them that a large firm doesn't.

Just detox yourself and don't mess around with drugs if you're going to get paranoid about them affecting your professional life, it's not worth the risk.
    Any personal experience (you or your friends) with boutique banks doing tests? I have stopped doing any drugs but I am just very paranoid.

ReputationRep:
    Ecstasy is out of your system after a few days. A small amount of weed is about a month, regular tokers can take up to 3 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Ecstasy is out of your system after a few days. A small amount of weed is about a month, regular tokers can take up to 3 months.
    Thanks. was asking more about experiences with drug testing (eg have you been tested for summer internships before?) specifically experiences with boutiques

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Lol whut!! Does that mean you could still be slightly high for weeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolStoryBroo)
    Lol whut!! Does that mean you could still be slightly high for weeks
    You wouldn't be high, but there'd be a detectable amount of the drug in your system.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.