Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need an emergency dentist :( think I need a root canal, will they do one? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted some input. I have an excruciatingly painful tooth, already has a filling in it (for a while I think) but has developed what I think is called a "hot" pulpitis - so I need a root canal. the same thing has happened to me before.

Just I'm between home and uni and I know the logistics of a RCT are tricky... any experiences of what will happen from here? Will they put a root canal in or will they at least be able to stop the pain somehow? I don't even know when the next emergency appointment is available at this point

ReputationRep:
    They should certainly be able to do the majority of a root canal and put a temporary filling in, which will get rid of the pain. It can then be finished off later (if you haven't had the emergency appointment with your usual dentist, this will probably mean having to get your usual dentist to finish treatment, or if you don't currently have a dentist, finding one)

I had a root canal done at an emergency dental clinic last year with no problems-they took the nerve out and put a filling in and I just had to find somewhere (as I didn't have a regular dentist) to get it finished off, although this wasn't urgent (the dentist I saw said within a few weeks or months was fine, just not to leave it like a year).

Try your usual dentist for emergency appointments first of all. If you don't have a regular dentist, you can call your PCT and ask for the dental access helpline, or call NHS direct. They'll both be able to refer you to where you can get an emergency appointment.

Hope you get it sorted out and feel better.

In the mean time, you can take two paracetamol and two ibuprofen every four hours, and a hot water bottle or similar can really help too. If painkillers aren't helping and it's possible-easy for bottom row teeth-try to locate the nerve involved around your jaw; putting firm pressure on that for several minutes will really help block the pain-for example for a bottom tooth press two fingers firmly under your jaw near to to the tooth (usually you can tell if you've got the right spot because the throbbing pain will lessen).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    They should certainly be able to do the majority of a root canal and put a temporary filling in, which will get rid of the pain. It can then be finished off later (if you haven't had the emergency appointment with your usual dentist, this will probably mean having to get your usual dentist to finish treatment, or if you don't currently have a dentist, finding one)

I had a root canal done at an emergency dental clinic last year with no problems-they took the nerve out and put a filling in and I just had to find somewhere (as I didn't have a regular dentist) to get it finished off, although this wasn't urgent (the dentist I saw said within a few weeks or months was fine, just not to leave it like a year).

Try your usual dentist for emergency appointments first of all. If you don't have a regular dentist, you can call your PCT and ask for the dental access helpline, or call NHS direct. They'll both be able to refer you to where you can get an emergency appointment.

Hope you get it sorted out and feel better.

In the mean time, you can take two paracetamol and two ibuprofen every four hours, and a hot water bottle or similar can really help too. If painkillers aren't helping and it's possible-easy for bottom row teeth-try to locate the nerve involved around your jaw; putting firm pressure on that for several minutes will really help block the pain-for example for a bottom tooth press two fingers firmly under your jaw near to to the tooth (usually you can tell if you've got the right spot because the throbbing pain will lessen).
    Thank you, I need to try them again at 9am tomorrow. I am just relieved to hear even if they can't finish the procedure, they will be able to take away the pain? (If I can get an appt, emergency dental is only 9-1pm to make the appt!!)

I can't take ibuprofen as it gives me horrible stomach ache so I am really suffering at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    I think you should contact to dentist who is near to you.

ReputationRep:
    I know how it feels, I had to suffer the pain for about a week until I've decided enough is enough and I need to see the dentist urgently. So, did you sort everything out? Did they relieved your pain? If you still haven't got the appointment and in pain, ask your pharmacist for some stronger painkillers.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.