Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying for drama school next year. But I'm unsure on what monologues to use. I'm a comical actor, but love playing vulnerable/suicidal characters. Not sure the suicidal piece would go great at drama school. But I am considered naturally funny, and don't try. So I think a Shakespeare comedy monologue would suit me, and a more darker/intense modern monologue. What do you think? Any ideas on finding a monologue?

What do they look for in the monologues? Like what kind of genre do they like. Others told me they prefer dramatic/natural Shakespeare monologues. That true? I found a great comedy Shakespeare from 'Two gentleman of verona', however it was in prose, and they request verse. Are they looking for how natural it's delivered or how you interpret the character and the ability to portray the character.
    Regards.

ReputationRep:
    Comedy for shakespeare is a good idea as they hear a lot of the same old shouty, aggressive ones being done and it'll be a breath of fresh air, try looking at some of shakespeares contemporaries too as everyone does shakespeare and doing something a bit different is again a breath of fresh air. As for the modern, don't do something too intense, ultimately they want to see you being as natural as possible, pick something with depth and don't pick something about someone who is suicidal or something cause there is a lot of that. Try ordering some new plays from the royal court, the newer the play the less likely anyone has done it as an audition speech before which is what you want, it also shows that you are interested in new theatre and are up to date with the theatre scene.

ReputationRep:
    It's really tough because each school is very different.

In terms of comedy, I would advise to focus on whether it's a piece you really like and are interested by rather than how funny it is because you will get a different response at each audition; I did a comic contemporary for my round of auditions and in some places like Mountview everyone sat there sort of straight faced but at Central everyone was having a right old giggle but if you focus on getting your point across then you won't be thrown by that.
    The best comic monologue I've ever seen at an audition was one of the Satan monologues from Immaculate- Oliver Lansley, there's a couple of great male monologues in that play so it's worth a look.
    As far as being suicidal and intense, as has previously been said, it doesn't always work. Joey from Road by Jim Cartwright is one of those monologues; I saw it done at Central and the guy was a brilliant actor but the intensity just didn't really work in the atmosphere but I've heard that Drama Centre really like that and this guy did get a recall there with that monologue.

It's an absolute nightmare picking monologues but when you're anxious, stressed, nervous and vulnerable you need a monologue you love because then you can really focus on that and nothing else.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.