Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone traveled/worked in east Asia? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't know how to edit the title, but going to Shanghai

I'm finishing uni this year and am looking to go to China, primarily Shanghai. Just wondering if anyone has traveled here, things to do, avoid, and getting about not knowing the language.
    Any information/experiences would be great By the looks of it after flights and places to stay for the month, I'd have roughly £1000 to go with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supertoaster)
    Hey, I'm finishing uni this year and am looking to go to either China (beijing/shanghai), South Korea or Japan and am just wondering if anyone has traveled to any of these places not knowing the languages, and if you have worked there

And if you have any information/experiences would be great After flights, I'd have roughly £2000 to go with.
    I definantly would go these place, it's a fantastic experince and it's great to live in Asia.

I actually worked in HK but visited Shanghai and Japan. How long are you potentially looking to stay there? Bear in mind the cities you have mentioned are all V. expensive, esp Shanghai and Japan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hackett)
    I definantly would go these place, it's a fantastic experince and it's great to live in Asia.

I actually worked in HK but visited Shanghai and Japan. How long are you potentially looking to stay there? Bear in mind the cities you have mentioned are all V. expensive, esp Shanghai and Japan.
    It's hard to say, I think I'd like visit for a month or so and get a feel for it, as I haven't been away like this before so don't know if I would want to work/live there yet

I've looked at Shanghai and seems like you can get a small apartment for a month for between 200-600, I'm sure I'd be able to go for that long at least. I'm open to hostels/organized places for travelers as well.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of job are looking to get in China? I am from Beijing so I might could give you some ideas about the city.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ATINO)
    What kind of job are looking to get in China? I am from Beijing so I might could give you some ideas about the city.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cool I can currently only speak English, so anything that doesn't require being able to speak the language. I haven't really looked at jobs, but for the purpose of just traveling any job would be good.

I know I will need to learn the basics of the language at least, but I don't know where I am going yet so haven't thought about it.

ReputationRep:
    Cool I can currently only speak English, so anything that doesn't require being able to speak the language. I haven't really looked at jobs, but for the purpose of just traveling any job would be good.

I know I will need to learn the basics of the language at least, but I don't know where I am going yet so haven't thought about it.
    I think it would be better if you secure a place before going so that way someone might be looking after you to some extent. There will always be teaching vacancy if you don't mind teaching English. And I would guess that's the easiest choice to go with. Also a plus point about teaching is if you get to teach adult students and become friends with some of them you would get more direct resources of what's life like there and also learn some basic language from them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ATINO)
    I think it would be better if you secure a place before going so that way someone might be looking after you to some extent. There will always be teaching vacancy if you don't mind teaching English. And I would guess that's the easiest choice to go with. Also a plus point about teaching is if you get to teach adult students and become friends with some of them you would get more direct resources of what's life like there and also learn some basic language from them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would, but I more want to experience the place before going straight to work, think i'm just going to go for a month, if I like it then I'll look into more permanent jobs and things The teaching jobs look pretty reasonable, most places seem to provide visa and accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, not much help to your thread but with the current political situation I think the FCO will soon enough be warning against travel to South Korea. Make sure you keep updated with things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllaBella<3)
    Sorry, not much help to your thread but with the current political situation I think the FCO will soon enough be warning against travel to South Korea. Make sure you keep updated with things
    I already decided to go to Shanghai but ye, if there is a war going on a may pass

ReputationRep:
    I already decided to go to Shanghai but ye, if there is a war going on a may pass
    Ah wonderful! Let me know what it's like! Baby traveller here wanting to see the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllaBella<3)
    Ah wonderful! Let me know what it's like! Baby traveller here wanting to see the world
    It is the first time I'll be going away for more then 2 weeks and possibly alone aswell

ReputationRep:
    So I moved to and work in South East Asia. My partner was offered a job here and within a month of accepting it he moved having never visited the region (other than a week in Canada he'd never been out of Europe before). Whilst there are sometimes language difficulties both our companies operate in English, so it is manageable. The main difference is cultural. Japan, as an example, is a developed country but the work ethic is completely different (my Dad worked there) and it's the same where I am. The language isn't much of an issue it's getting used to the long, inefficient hours where going home on time is considered lazy. My basic hours are 45 a week but I easily hit the 60s most weeks.

Travelling is much easier, especially in the developed part of the region. (In the developing countries, if your white you'll be a target for thieves and rip off merchants)

If you're planning on working then make sure you have the right visas, China is notoriously difficult whether you speak Chinese or not (one colleague had to leave the China office because they wouldn't extend his visa even though he'd live there for years and also one British friend who wanted to travel through briefly on business had to delay his trip)

ReputationRep:
    Shanghai is a great experience but also a challenging destination. I think it is more challenging than Japan or Korea so if it is your first long trip abroad make sure you are properly prepared and pick up some Mandarin before you go. If you are a single white guy I can guarantee that people will try to scam you (the most common one is English-speaking young Chinese people inviting you to a rip-off "tea ceremony") and you will get approached by prostitutes (even on the main shopping street).

If you are going to China it is better to go in the summer than winter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonista)
    If you're planning on working then make sure you have the right visas, China is notoriously difficult whether you speak Chinese or not (one colleague had to leave the China office because they wouldn't extend his visa even though he'd live there for years and also one British friend who wanted to travel through briefly on business had to delay his trip)
    I've decided to just go on a tourist visa, so not going to be working

(Original post by jacketpotato)
    Shanghai is a great experience but also a challenging destination. I think it is more challenging than Japan or Korea so if it is your first long trip abroad make sure you are properly prepared and pick up some Mandarin before you go. If you are a single white guy I can guarantee that people will try to scam you (the most common one is English-speaking young Chinese people inviting you to a rip-off "tea ceremony") and you will get approached by prostitutes (even on the main shopping street).

Yea, I'll be looking at things to avoid, biggest worry really for me is the language, I've always been terrible at learning them.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, I'll be looking at things to avoid, biggest worry really for me is the language, I've always been terrible at learning them.
    Yeah, me too. With Mandarin just focus on trying to learn some basic oral conversation. Unless you are seriously dedicated do not try learning how to read. In China you will often find that food menus, streetsigns and so on have English translations, so no need to read Chinese, but most people don't speak English so it helps to speak a little bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Summer in Shanghai could be extremely hot and stuffy. I would say try not to come here in Jul, Aug, and Sep. Also in Jun it rains a lot, sometimes may last for a month. Spring and Autumn would be much better.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.