Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.
    I'm a girl from Hong Kong and may be studying in Bath soon. I've heard of some asians being discriminated in UK and it really did terrify me. Could I get some nice and honest answers about the discrimination problem in Bath? Any exists?
    And I'm also afraid that I could never get to know and hang out with any locals... To be honest, I don't prefer hanging around with another group of asians as I wish to make friends with the locals! This problem bothers me quite a lot...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohrocketeer)
    Hi there.
    I'm a girl from Hong Kong and may be studying in Bath soon. I've heard of some asians being discriminated in UK and it really did terrify me. Could I get some nice and honest answers about the discrimination problem in Bath? Any exists?
    And I'm also afraid that I could never get to know and hang out with any locals... To be honest, I don't prefer hanging around with another group of asians as I wish to make friends with the locals! This problem bothers me quite a lot...
    You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I am sure there is a chinese society or an asian society in general. =)

ReputationRep:
    You'll be absolutely fine. There are a lot of asians here granted and I'm sure they all feel the same.

I haven't seen or heard of any discrimination. Everyone is really friendly (probably there's one or two idiots). Everyone kind of gets along with each other. You'll meet people from all countries and it's a real good mix.

I assure you, that you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    I am sure there is a chinese society or an asian society in general. =)
    thank you, but how about the british students' views towards asian girls? Will they be happy to make friends with them? I think asians always sound unpopular in European countries..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awayinmyhead)
    You'll be absolutely fine. There are a lot of asians here granted and I'm sure they all feel the same.

I haven't seen or heard of any discrimination. Everyone is really friendly (probably there's one or two idiots). Everyone kind of gets along with each other. You'll meet people from all countries and it's a real good mix.

I assure you, that you'll be fine
    Thank you so much!! This really means a lot to me

ReputationRep:
    I am South Asian, have never been discriminated against and I lived in the UK for 25 years.

Seriously, people like Asian people. So you will be great.

ReputationRep:
    Yep the local people of bath hate asians with a passion, they regularly organise hunting trips...

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, it is not uncommon for there to be near 10k students at any one university at a time and I can assure you you will NOT be the only chinese girl there.

Link to chinese society: https://www.bathstudent.com/socs/soc...seStudent-CSS/

Good luck when you get there!

I plan on joining a couple of societies myself (at Essex) of which include;

LGBT
    Anime Society
    Japanese Society (I want to learn Japanese)

So, I am sure there are places willing to take you in!

EDIT:
    Besides, I am sure that if you don't like one crowd, there are plenty more to join!

ReputationRep:
    You will be fine. But as with any city in the world you have to keep your wits about yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 101101)
    Yep the local people of bath hate asians with a passion, they regularly organise hunting trips...
    yeah i suppose this is a jk rite?...

ReputationRep:
    Well, if they start hating on you, you can always beat them up with your Kung Fu! :ninja2:

This is known as a JOKE people, you know a funny?
    I am not being serious as many people I find on TSR are seriously OTT saying "Racist" or in general Prejudice of some sort...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Well, if they start hating on you, you can always beat them up with your Kung Fu! :ninja2:

This is known as a JOKE people, you know a funny?
    I am not being serious as many people I find on TSR are seriously OTT saying "Racist" or in general Prejudice of some sort...
    I dun know anything about Kung Fu haha
    yeah I can definitely accept hilarious jokes on each other's race after having made a genuine friend...but in an intentionally friendly way instead of an offensive way or any way that would make me feel isolated
    I do wish I can find friends like that.

ReputationRep:
    I've visited quite a few good universities in England and there are always loads of asians Like massive groups of asians so I think you'll be fine fitting in ;D

ReputationRep:
    Let me put you mind at ease, bath uni has loads of chinese student, I actually think they make up the largest group of international studets. Bath is a very modern city, and although the population of bath is not as ethnically diverse as say london, it's a still very diverse place. Certainly the locals have no problem other ethnicities and are very used to seeing faces and hearing languages from all around the world. I can't guarantee you wont get racial abuse, but it is highly unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohrocketeer)
    Hi there.
    You would fit in at Imperial

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.