Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

being an undergraduate with a pet Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to adopt a dog and in May/June I have GCE exams hoping Glasgow university takes me, I live in Greece and I don't know much about the rules, pros and cons of having a pet in UK, so I hope you can fill up on that particular problem I face...

As an undergraduate will I find a flat to rent where pets are permitted and what are the costs???

In general the pros and cons!

Thank you in advance!!!

ReputationRep:
    So.

when you go to uni classes, go drinking, go to stay with mates, dont come home from parties, get lost and drunk in a party...etc etc

who will look after your dog?????

ReputationRep:
    You will struggle greatly to find a landlord who will permit pets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Boy)
    You will struggle greatly to find a landlord who will permit pets.
    Is it impossible???? I mean, the dog I tend to adopt is very quiet and calm, he won't bother anyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnny09)
    Is it impossible???? I mean, the dog I tend to adopt is very quiet and calm, he won't bother anyone!
    You will find it probably is near enough impossible, yes. Particularly for a dog. Many landlord will permit fish, hamsters or other similar caged pets and very occasionally you might find one who will allow you a cat (although, even that is unlikely) but there is almost no chance of finding a rental flat within a student budget that will let you have a dog.
    Also, the hours of attention, level of care and the financial resources needed to properly care for a dog are not likely to fit well with a student lifestyle, even if you aren't someone who intends to go out drinking and having big nights out.
    You don't make it totally clear whether this dog you wish to adopt is in Greece or the UK right now? You'd need to do a lot of work to get the right pet passport papers sorted out to bring a dog over with you as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnny09)
    Regardless of what you think (and how do you know - you haven't even bought the dog yet) most landlords will consider dogs to be a nuisance (barking, chewing furniture, shedding hairs, etc). It's normal for tenancy agreements to specify "no dogs" or even "no pets".

If you do get a dog and want it to move between Greece and the UK when you travel, you will have to follow the rules for importing animals into the UK. We have regulations designed to keep rabies out of the country, and complying with these rules will involve extra costs.

ReputationRep:
    I part own my flat but even I have strict rules to follow on pets I'm allowed as they are often considered a nuisance to other people in flats/shared houses/halls. You have to remember as well other people may have allergies and things such as 'dog smell' makes it harder to rent out a place after you have gone. Personally if I knew someone was moving in with a dog I would take my custom elsewhere and landlords will want to fill properties. Some will allow small, caged animals as long as they're quiet though. My partner is currently in the process of buying houses to rent out and he wouldn't allow dogs or cats because he doesn't want too much hassle cleaning or refurbishing after people have moved out. He will still have to pay the mortgage even if nobody is currently living there.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.