The Student Room Group

Would this be a good idea for an EPQ...?

I've decided I'd like to do an EPQ, and I've been told that it could improve my chances of getting an offer to do Economics at university, if it's economics related.

Would an EPQ of the use of mathematical and statistical models in consistently winning at poker, be a good idea? You can understand why it may be considered Economics (or at least finance) related, right?

Many thanks
Reply 1
Also, have I posted this thread in the right place?
Personally I think it would be a fascinating project and certainly can be strongly-enough grounded in statistics to be of benefit to an Economics application. The only slight worry is that the universities think you will spend all your time playing poker online rather than studying!
Original post by JRChapman
I've decided I'd like to do an EPQ, and I've been told that it could improve my chances of getting an offer to do Economics at university, if it's economics related.

Would an EPQ of the use of mathematical and statistical models in consistently winning at poker, be a good idea? You can understand why it may be considered Economics (or at least finance) related, right?

Many thanks

Sounds interesting, although might be worth checking out how much information is available on that subject before you start getting too into it.
Reply 4
Original post by the.cookie.monster
Sounds interesting, although might be worth checking out how much information is available on that subject before you start getting too into it.

There is a fair bit... Though I am concerned I'd read a 'roadblock', in terms of knowing what to write about :/

Many thanks

Just about finished my EPQ so feel free to PM me about it.

IMO one of the most important things is checking whether it is feasible, i.e. enough material available and that the question/s can actually be answered.

Additionally, a gambling related EPQ might not go down too well. Just something to consider :smile:
There is a fair bit... Though I am concerned I'd read a 'roadblock', in terms of knowing what to write about :/

Don't worry, most of the time your EPQ won't turn out quite exactly how you planned it to be, but that's all stuff that you can later write down in your log book for evaluation etc.
My advice would be to have a clear idea of what you want to discuss in your EPQ and make a list of sources beforehand so you know whether you have enough material or whether in fact the topic is too broad. Are you planning to look into game theory?
Reply 7
Original post by the.cookie.monster
Don't worry, most of the time your EPQ won't turn out quite exactly how you planned it to be, but that's all stuff that you can later write down in your log book for evaluation etc.
My advice would be to have a clear idea of what you want to discuss in your EPQ and make a list of sources beforehand so you know whether you have enough material or whether in fact the topic is too broad. Are you planning to look into game theory?

Game theory definitely seems relevant, but I'd also focus on things like binomial coefficients, and perhaps compile a matrix of the best way to act for every possible hand. I don't mind putting the time in.
Reply 8
Game theory definitely seems relevant, but I'd also focus on things like binomial coefficients, and perhaps compile a matrix of the best way to act for every possible hand. I don't mind putting the time in.

Perhaps read up on the economics of risk and uncertainty and see if there's an application there? I wouldn't worry too much about the gambling aspect - economists do deal with issues of risk and uncertainty (often with gambling applications!) all the time and I find it hard to believe that admissions tutors will be particularly judgemental.
Reply 9
Original post by lp386
Perhaps read up on the economics of risk and uncertainty and see if there's an application there? I wouldn't worry too much about the gambling aspect - economists do deal with issues of risk and uncertainty (often with gambling applications!) all the time and I find it hard to believe that admissions tutors will be particularly judgemental.

My primary concern is this: I've just found a wikipedia article -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poker_probability_(Texas_hold_'em) - that is basically exactly what I'd planned to do... What should I do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending