Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a Marine Biologist and I don't know whether to do a MSci course (which is less interesting and less relevant) or a BSc course (which is more interesting and relevant to me)? Which one would be best?

ReputationRep:
    Do the BSc, then you can do a standalone MSc after if you feel like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theclownfish)
    I want to be a Marine Biologist and I don't know whether to do a MSci course (which is less interesting and less relevant) or a BSc course (which is more interesting and relevant to me)? Which one would be best?
    What are the two courses and which Uni(s) are they at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tpx)
    What are the two courses and which Uni(s) are they at?
    Marine Biology - Southampton (MSci)
    Marine Biology - Newcastle (BSc)

ReputationRep:
    What is it that makes Newcastle more relevant to you; what does the Southampton course lack?

You may as well do the course that you prefer, as both those Universities are very good for marine biology. As said above, you can do a stand-alone master's afterwards if you want to; you have to consider the fact that you would have to stump up around £10k for this though. If you want to do a PhD there is a chance that you could be accepted straight from a BSc, but you may be at a disadvantage if the other candidates have masters.

ReputationRep:
    Which university in UK offers the best Marine courses for Master(Postgrad)?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.