Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Seems an over the top way to 'reenact' the crucifixion of Jesus.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2978190.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom Lord)
    It is, as is Ashura (though I understand that has nothing to do with Easter) but at least this man is choosing to be crucified which isn't the case with children who are cut with knives by their own parents at Ashura

ReputationRep:
    Lol, humans.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, Christians.

ReputationRep:
    All religions have nut cases. Some more than others though.

ReputationRep:
    Extreme but there's extremists for everything... :/

ReputationRep:
    It was the 27th crucifixion for sign painter Ruben Enaje, 52, one of the most popular penitents from San Pedro Cutud village. [...] Enaje screamed in pain as men dressed as Roman soldiers hammered stainless steel nails into his palms and feet. A wireless microphone carried his voice to loudspeakers for everyone watching to hear.

His cross was raised and he was hanged there for several minutes under the searing afternoon sun before the nails were pulled out and he was taken on a stretcher to a first aid station.

"It's intriguing and fascinating what makes people do something like this, how you can believe so much that you make yourself suffer to that extent," said Dita Tittesass, a tourist from Denmark.
    His 27th time? You'd think he would have 'nailed it' by now

I find this sort of behaviour very bizarre. I'd have to agree with the Danish lady with the unfortunate name.

ReputationRep:
    Well to be fair, it kind of makes sense. If Jesus sacrificed himself for our sins, then why can't we do the same for ourselves by self flagellation (or nailing to the cross)! All you have to do to be forgiven for your sins by god is to believe in Jesus... but what if you don't believe? If jesus's sacrifice was enough for trillions of people over generations, then one guy's sacrifice just for himself makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    But why would anyone actually want to do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Rose)
    It is, as is Ashura (though I understand that has nothing to do with Easter) but at least this man is choosing to be crucified which isn't the case with children who are cut with knives by their own parents at Ashura
    Please don't make Ashura a synonym for individuals choosing to cut themselves. In mainstream Islam (Sunni) it serves a different purpose which is related to the children of Israel / fasting. Thanks.

As for these Christians, that's pretty extreme tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Happens every year in the Philippines. It's by no means a first time. As a Christian, I think it's a rather extreme way of celebrating Easter, and a very painful one. But then, my way of celebrating Easter is going out to Trafalgar Square and watching a rather good play about the Passion, and going to church. Well, and eating chocolate. Of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    Happens every year in the Philippines. It's by no means a first time. As a Christian, I think it's a rather extreme way of celebrating Easter, and a very painful one. But then, my way of celebrating Easter is going out to Trafalgar Square and watching a rather good play about the Passion, and going to church. Well, and eating chocolate. Of course.
    Chocolate is something I think we can all unite on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom Lord)
    If they want to harm themselves in devotion to their imaginary friends then let them.

ReputationRep:
    well is ridiculous for people practicing what they did not know off. read your bible and you will never act on something you did not suppose to, JESUE say my death on the cross ended everything you did not need punish your self on the cross again. you are doing nothing but murking HIM. HE has already dea for you to be free, all you need is to follow HIS principle for what HE say you should do in the bible please. c

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.