Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  syrian.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  72.1 KB

This image is extraordinary and it has really touched me. A 7 year old Syrian 'boy' being slowly asphyxiated of his right to live. If this doesn't show devolution, then I don't know what does.

Society is becoming more barbaric. What are your views?

ReputationRep:
    Society is becoming more barbaric in Syria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    Just Syria? In society we are seeing more murders and violence, even though intelligence is evolving, as seen with technology, barbarity is still evident throughout the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaylorGang_4)
    Just Syria? In society we are seeing more murders and violence, even though intelligence is evolving, as seen with technology, barbarity is still evident throughout the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah maybe, but you've picked a photo of extreme circumstances. 99% of the world is not like that. And is there really more violence now than there used to be? How far back are you referring to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    Yeah maybe, but you've picked a photo of extreme circumstances. 99% of the world is not like that. And is there really more violence now than there used to be? How far back are you referring to?
    Afghanistan conflict, Iraq to an an extent and plent other cases. As we are evolving, barbarity should be diminishing, however its not, and that's worrying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i find this slightly amusing, seeing as wars have been responsible for many major technological advances. hell, even the internet that we're using right now is a product of the cold war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #null)
    i find this slightly amusing, seeing as wars have been responsible for many major technological advances. hell, even the internet that we're using right now is a product of the cold war.
    Technology is evolving yet lives are still being lost at an alarming rate, yes, very amusing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but even though the picture you have shown is quite touching emotionally it has still lead to your balls retreating into your own body. Of course there is violence in the world, there will always be violence in the world. To say that things arn't generally getting better across the board, compared to the previous few centuries, is obsured.

ReputationRep:
    -sigh-

clearly you completely missed the point i was making. you implied that because technology is evolving, there should be less war. what i was getting at is that technology has actually evolved a bunch because there was war in the first place, hence my comment.

also afghanistan & iraq aren't **** compared to the happenings of the 20th century, as implied by the poster above.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like you need a hug and to be told it will all be okay.

ReputationRep:

This image is extraordinary and it has really touched me. A 7 year old Syrian 'boy' being slowly asphyxiated of his right to live. If this doesn't show devolution, then I don't know what does.

(Original post by tjf8)
    I completely disagree. What we know to be "evil" or "barbarism" has existed for a long, long time - arguably, it could even be said that past periods in history were much more barbaric than they are now.

I do not think humanity as a whole is regressing (although different societies may certainly be regressing). You seem to believe that past periods in history were all roses and sunshine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackburn_Allen)
    Seems like you need a hug and to be told it will all be okay.
    You forgot to say "no homo".

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #null)
    -sigh-

clearly you completely missed the point i was making. you implied that because technology is evolving, there should be less war. what i was getting at is that technology has actually evolved a bunch because there was war in the first place, hence my comment.

also afghanistan & iraq aren't **** compared to the happenings of the 20th century, as implied by the poster above.
    Yes, technology has fuelled war, but shouldn't the evolution of intelligence be preventing wars rather than causing them? War isn't sustainable, therefore it will always come to an end. What's the cost? Lives. Of course there are less lives being lost now than in the 20th Century, that's because of an increase in human rights. However violence is still strongly evident in society. One single flame is enough to engulf a wide-spread wildfire. In relation to the North-South Korean situation, one bad move, and WWIII will erupt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #null)
    -sigh-

What's more, it seems that it is vice versa - war also, in many cases, spurs on technological innovations. Citizens must understand that the technology that they currently hold in their hands is possibly decades behind current military technology.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, technology has fuelled war, but shouldn't the evolution of intelligence be preventing wars rather than causing them? War isn't sustainable, therefore it will always come to an end. What's the cost? Lives. Of course there are less lives being lost now than in the 20th Century, that's because of an increase in human rights. However violence is still strongly evident in society. One single flame is enough to engulf a wide-spread wildfire. In relation to the North-South Korean situation, one bad move, and WWIII will erupt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not necessarily. It must be known that technology is currently advancing at a rapid and exponential rate. It is way ahead of our moral development as a Race. Even so, we are learning to adapt alongside this rapid pace of change and development. But still, our baser instincts and drives remain strong, hence war and whatnot.

Also, in regard to your last mention of the Korean situation - I advise you not to take it too seriously. Look at it this way - is the Supreme Leader serious when he threatens war by day and yet at the same time has tea and scones with American basketballers and senior Google officials?

ReputationRep:
    Men women and children are routinely burned to death, and blown to bits, but no one much seems to care. Such deaths must be agonizing. So long as these people are designated 'terrorists' 'suspected terrorists' and associated with the idea of the 'terrorist' in some way, concern is severely blunted. Human beings are transformed into 'hot spots' or 'collateral damage'. It's like it's a computer game.

Strangely problems such as the Syrian one are talked of in terms of the affordability of intervention or whether an intervention will benefit the governments 'interests' rather than talking about stopping the violence. It's a strange, horrible world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Humbert Humbert)
    Men women and children are routinely burned to death, and blown to bits, but no one much seems to care. Such deaths must be agonizing. So long as these people are designated 'terrorists' 'suspected terrorists' and associated with the idea of the 'terrorist' in some way, concern is severely blunted. Human beings are transformed into 'hot spots' or 'collateral damage'. It's like it's a computer game.

Strangely problems such as the Syrian one are talked of in terms of the affordability of intervention or whether an intervention will benefit the governments 'interests' rather than talking about stopping the violence. It's a strange, horrible world.
    And yet the United States was so eager to invade Iraq and Afghanistan. And yet, the United Kingdom was so enthusiastic to "help out" in Libya.

Still this Syrian business rages on....

Sorry dude but I think you've fallen into the trap of cherry-picking.

Don't tell me the concept of child soldiers is new to you.

ReputationRep:
    In the roman era they used to put men in the middle of a amphitheatre and watch the fight to the death for entertainment, so I can't see how the world is getting more barbaric. **** like this happens all the time and has happened for as long as humans have existed, the difference is now in developed nations we have got a slightly more "civilised" state of affairs where we are somewhat sheltered from what happens in places like syria. So it does seem shocking, and in many ways it is shocking and we should try to prevent it, but this is by no means anything new, it's just the way the world is.

ReputationRep:
    i

if you follow the news, there's stories everyday of reverse civilisation,

eg. boy on ward in nhs deprived of hydration, dies from dehydration
    elderly neglect widespread, crimes against kids in all sorts of manner, right here in the UK, not just Syria, society is a fragile thing. Barbarism is an easy climb-down.

Look what happens when there is no law enforcement due to a disaster, people go looting. We can't take our infrastructure for granted.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.