Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do most individuals think that their life is special over others? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Almost all humans have a self awareness about themselves. Few dont.

But are we built to think that we are somehow more special than others?

Therefore do you think of your life and death as something more important than other human beings?

ReputationRep:
    what a selfish thing to think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warfarin)
    what a selfish thing to think.
    so where do you stand or are you exempt from natural laws?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hedgemonkey)
    so where do you stand or are you exempt from natural laws?
    what exactly do you mean? altruism (even the extreme case of giving your life for the benefit of others) can be quite advantageous from an evolutionary point of view, especially if you are a social species.

ReputationRep:
    I feel that I'm so special like other people who are special as well, so we all feel equally special.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone thinks that they are special and that their life is worth more than anyone else's (except sometimes family/ friends).
    If they didn't, they would get a donor card and kill themselves, potentially saving roughly 7 lives.
    However, no one does, as biologically we are programmed to look after our own genes, and pass them on to ensure their survival.

Although this may sound selfish, without this, mankind could not function

ReputationRep:
    Ego neutralises death

ReputationRep:
    No. I dont feel special which kind of drives me to change the world. We cant all be walking around with a fake sense of superiority it kind of leads to laziness look at the kardashians haha.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.