Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Social Groups?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Is someone able to explain the differences between public and moderated social groups on TSR?

Thinking of creating one - just don't know which type.

Cheers.

(Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
    Hi all,

Is someone able to explain the differences between public and moderated social groups on TSR?

Thinking of creating one - just don't know which type.

Cheers.
    Public - people click "join" and they are part of the group
    Moderated - people click "join" and they aren't part of the group until the leader approves them.

It's very much preferred that you choose 'public'. We have problems with a lot of social groups where users are becoming inactive, leaving TSR or not bothering to approve new members, which creates a backlog of join requests. Having it as 'public' will take care of all that for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Public - people click "join" and they are part of the group
    Moderated - people click "join" and they aren't part of the group until the leader approves them.

It's very much preferred that you choose 'public'. We have problems with a lot of social groups where users are becoming inactive, leaving TSR or not bothering to approve new members, which creates a backlog of join requests. Having it as 'public' will take care of all that for you.
    Don't intend on leaving, but I can see where you are coming from

What about threads?

If I create a group, is a thread for it automatically opened in the same section the group belongs in? Also, if I choose moderated, is everyone still able to post in that group thread, or is it just members?

Tbh, I think I might just go for public. Probably less hassle.

Thanks
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
    Don't intend on leaving, but I can see where you are coming from

What about threads?

If I create a group, is a thread for it automatically opened in the same section the group belongs in? Also, if I choose moderated, is everyone still able to post in that group thread, or is it just members?

Tbh, I think I might just go for public. Probably less hassle.

Thanks
    The "moderated" option applies solely to group join requests, nothing else.

If no relevant threads already exist, you'll need to post a new one for the group and then associate it with the group via "Thread Tools". Anyone who can usually post in a forum can post in its threads, regardless of whether they're associated with a group.

Choose "public". :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a part of a social group irl, may I be a part of your social circle? Can we go to the cinema and hang out in town and stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    The "moderated" option applies solely to group join requests, nothing else.

If no relevant threads already exist, you'll need to post a new one for the group and then associate it with the group via "Thread Tools". Anyone who can usually post in a forum can post in its threads, regardless of whether they're associated with a group.

Choose "public". :yep:
    I think what he means is, if he clicks 'Create New Thread' whilst he's on the home page of the social group he's created, will it automatically be assigned to the relevant forum in which said group belongs?

I'm assuming it does. Do you know the answer, though?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoGo HoPz)
    I think what he means is, if he clicks 'Create New Thread' whilst he's on the home page of the social group he's created, will it automatically be assigned to the relevant forum in which said group belongs?

Hmm... I'm not convinced that's what he was trying to ask, but yep, this is how that function works. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoGo HoPz)

(Original post by Illusionary)
    Hmm... I'm not convinced that's what he was trying to ask, but yep, this is how that function works. :yes:
    Neither of you got what I actually meant, but never mind as it was a pointless/dumb question anyway. (Don't have anymore questions anymore.)

Thanks and have a nice day everyone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.