Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Basically I studied Economics and French at Aberystwyth for a year (Found it boring, and always regretted not doing something science-based), dropped out and am back at college studying; Chemistry, Biology and Further Maths.
    (Previously studied Maths (A) Welsh (A) and French (B) A levels)

I'm interested in Dentistry, however I understand it's highly competitive and am worried that being a drop out will work against me , I don't want to apply if I've got no chance at all.

I've sent emails to every dental school in the UK, Bristol say out right no, while Leeds say "your previous university experience will not affect your application". Nobody else has replied!! Starting to stress and worrying I'm wasting time either to look for something else or get dental work experience :mad:.
    I've got the good GCSEs and think I can get the AAA required.

Anyone have any experience with this?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know it shouldn't affect you. As the previous study wasn't science-based, I don't even see why you would have to mention it?

If you do bring it up and are asked about it, you could reflect on what you learned from it such as it helping to re-affirm to you that you wanted a scientific career etc.

ReputationRep:
    I really hope so, hopefully I'm just getting paranoid but when Bristol said they'd only consider my application if I'd completed a previous degree I was really shocked tbh.
    That's what I thought, would it show up on my ucas form?
    Didn't want to not mention it and then it comes back to bite me lol.

I'm going to semi-prepare an answer for it if I get through to the interviews, I can understand it would be one of their questions.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.