Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does applying to Oxbridge disadvantage your application to other universities? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As you apply early when applying to Oxbridge, other universities know you have applied to oxbridge. Are they less likely to take an "Oxbridge reject" or do they not consider this?

ReputationRep:
    Some uni's just wait until all applications are in before looking, others give offers as they go. Not everyone who applies early will be applying to Oxbridge, and even if you are, you will be in a position to accept or decline earlier so they can reoffer the place if they really want. Not that I know it well, but that's my guess.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mworswick)
    As you apply early when applying to Oxbridge, other universities know you have applied to oxbridge. Are they less likely to take an "Oxbridge reject" or do they not consider this?
    Uni's dont know where else you have applied unless you actually go and tell them in.

ReputationRep:
    Other universities aren't allowed to see on your form where else you've applied. To them, sending off the application might mean that you're applying to Oxbridge, or it might just mean that you're extra keen. Unless you tell them they've no way of knowing which it is.

ReputationRep:
    No thousands of people apply to oxbridge each year, and thousands of people get rejected. Other uni's know people will apply and try but make more offers than people accept etc. So no it wont have an effect!

However if you are worried, apply to Oxbridge before the deadline. Then add in your other uni's on UCAS after. So the other uni's will receive your application after the October 15th deadline.

ReputationRep:
    You will hear rumours (e.g. stuff like Durham disliking those who they think have applied to Oxbridge) but in reality I don't know how much stock I'd put in these rumours. One particular rumour is that they will not because they'll just be turned down at Oxbridge, but don't believe this - at the end of the day, the majority of Oxbridge applicants don't get an offer, so the universities don't withhold offers simply because they think you've applied to Oxbridge.

I certainly didn't have a problem with other universities, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Just because you have applied early doesn't mean you've automatically applied to oxbridge, you might just have an efficient school with early deadlines or whatever. As above, they won't know if you don't tell them, and why would another uni be less likely to take an oxford reject? If they've applied they probably are reasonably intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    You will hear rumours (e.g. stuff like Durham disliking those who they think have applied to Oxbridge) but in reality I don't know how much stock I'd put in these rumours. One particular rumour is that they will not because they'll just be turned down at Oxbridge, but don't believe this - at the end of the day, the majority of Oxbridge applicants don't get an offer, so the universities don't withhold offers simply because they think you've applied to Oxbridge.

As very many of the people at Durham also applied to Oxbridge, they must be just rumour and myth.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I highly doubt other unis really care much about whether or not you applied to Oxbridge. As someone mentioned earlier, it gives them the opportunity to consider your application earlier and then probably receive your decision earlier, so they have the option to offer your place to someone else if you turn it down. Just because you applied to Oxbridge doesn't mean that you wouldn't be happy elsewhere, so other unis would probably still think of you as any other applicant. They may not look at any applications until after Jan 15th. Also, they can't see where else you applied and if you are really worried you can only apply for Oxbridge before the deadline, then add the other four unis later (it's just a bit more complicated to do).

ReputationRep:
    My friend had said that he found other universities wer less keen because he was an Oxford reject- but I have a feeling he was trying to deter my from applying in case I got in after he failed to do so

ReputationRep:
    I think that what they might do is if you've applied early (with pretty much perfect AS results), they'll assume you've gone for Oxbridge. If they see your PS and grades are good enough to get an offer from Oxbridge, they may reject you to leave space for other applicants who are more likely to firm their uni choices. I say this because I know someone in my school who got accepted to Cambridge for medicine and then rejected from UCL, so in a way it does kinda make sense...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Anythingoo1)
    I think that what they might do is if you've applied early (with pretty much perfect AS results), they'll assume you've gone for Oxbridge. If they see your PS and grades are good enough to get an offer from Oxbridge, they may reject you to leave space for other applicants who are more likely to firm their uni choices. I say this because I know someone in my school who got accepted to Cambridge for medicine and then rejected from UCL, so in a way it does kinda make sense...
    Perhaps, but remember that medicine is very competitive. UCL may genuinely have thought that they were not good enough (they would not have been able to see UMS points, and may be more interested in other things). Also, the deadline for medicine is the same as the oxbridge deadline and many medicine applicants will have almost perfect AS grades. Also, I've heard that the medicine course at oxbridge is very different to elsewhere, so they may be more interested in different strengths in applicants and not everyone with good grades applying for medicine would apply there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)

I got offers off oxford and durham so clearly they don't mind that much. it would be daft if they turned down people just because they have also applied to Oxbridge because they would be turning down so many good/excellent candidates - the majority of Oxbridge applicants don't get offers its just the way it is

ReputationRep:
    Universities will have a set number of places on the course and, most of the time, will be competing on a fairly equal basis with several other universities. So they already have to make calculations based on how many people they think will accept their offers. Adding Oxbridge applicants to the mix really doesn't make that any harder.

ReputationRep:
    In most cases, almost certainly not.

It used to be the case that universities knew where else you'd applied, and could be very silly about it, with places like Durham rejecting people straight away simply because they'd put Oxbridge/Bristol/Imperial/etc. as their first choice.

Now, though, that is not the case. I received all of my offers despite applying to Cambridge, as did most people I met there.

Statistically we'd have to be a few examples of people being accepted by Oxbridge and rejected by another university, as university admissions systems are not perfect and different universities look for different things.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.