Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AEA Mathematics 25/06 2013 Thread Watch

• View Poll Results: What do you think the Distinction grade boundary is likely to be?
    Greater than 85
    2.78%
    82-85
    11.11%
    78-81
    11.11%
    74-77
    25.00%
    70-73
    19.44%
    66-69
    27.78%
    65 or less
    2.78%

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    Do you have extenuating circumstances?
    Also, if I get anything less than AAAB/AABB in my ASes, Warwick will probably shun my application because most people get straight As at ASes at my school and 40 odd percent of A2 grades are A*s.
    My dad taught someone who went to Warwick for maths for one year and then moved to UCL because he found Warwick boring...have you been there? I presume you have. How is it?
    Not at all, just bad selection choice for a levels rely and they knew about my U but still have me a chance, I think as long as you're predicted AAB they'll give you an offer normally as STEP sorts out the candidates really and I found the open day for Warwick to be exciting and loved their range of modules too so I'm looking forward to going there now, I'm not sure about the life there as I'm yet to be there for more than a day :-/
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jarasta)
    you get an offer as long as you are predicted AAB atleast that's the warwick rule, obviously there are exceptions like the guy above. Yeah Warwick is a bit in the middle of nowhere and out there, I would probably enjoy UCL more, but I chose Warwick purely for the maths, I think I will enjoy that a lot and spend so much time on it, I won't have really need to go out, maths will be entertaining and something ****ing aggrivating enough to keep me busy. .
    I would apply to UCL anyway, the admin guy is pretty chilled and understanding, if you were ill on exams you did poorly on he would understand, as long as you have a strong PS and decent AS UMS you will be fine with UCL.

Didn't like the last questions, the parts of the last questions I could do, I made silly mistakes on, like arithmetic errors and just blanking out and forgetting why I was doing the discriminant etc. I blame it on being tired, I haven't really been able to sleep prior my exams this exam season . Didn't like the series question last parts, I liked the first integral one, though.
    I may have gotten AACU but I still got predicted A*A*B so that's probably why I got an offer really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Here is the paper I hope you can read it all.

Thanks, in hindsight it was a nice paper really, but I lost at least 15 marks there from unanswered parts of questions, and there's bound to be more mistakes that I don't know about. And because question 5 was split up with 'continued later...' I wouldn't be surprised if I've messed something up there.

ReputationRep:
    Here is the paper I hope you can read it all.

can you take new ones showing the marks clearly . I wanna start some mark deduction just so i can have a rough idea on what i got.

ReputationRep:
    I may have gotten AACU but I still got predicted A*A*B so that's probably why I got an offer really.
    aaah that makes sense.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    can you take new ones showing the marks clearly . I wanna start some mark deduction just so i can have a rough idea on what i got.
    Shall I just state how many marks there were for each part? I think it would probably be easier than posting more photos

ReputationRep:
    Shall I just state how many marks there were for each part? I think it would probably be easier than posting more photos
    yes! I need to get this over with!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Math-Magician)
    Thanks, in hindsight it was a nice paper really, but I lost at least 15 marks there from unanswered parts of questions, and there's bound to be more mistakes that I don't know about. And because question 5 was split up with 'continued later...' I wouldn't be surprised if I've messed something up there.
    I may not have done as bad as initially though either, but I still don't think it was an easy paper. I get you, looking at it now it seems easy, I'm really disliking the me from yesterday who took the exam, he is an idiot, I don't know why I even let him do it. Hindsight like you said.

ReputationRep:
    yes please. I just wanna know!

ReputationRep:
    This is one of the times when I DON'T want to look back at a paper I've done to see how many marks I've lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    This is one of the times when I DON'T want to look back at a paper I've done to see how many marks I've lost.
    I feel your pain
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Okay so here are the marks accordingly to the questions.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    For question 1 the first part was 4 marks and the second part was 2 marks.
    Question 2 was 1 mark for the first part and 7 for the second part.
    Question 3 was 5 marks for part a, 1 mark for part b, 3 marks for part c and 4 marks for part d.
    Question 4 was 1 mark for part a and b both, 3 marks for part c, 1 mark for part d, 2 marks for part e and 5 marks for part f.
    Question 5 had 3 marks for part a, 1 mark for part b, 3 marks for part c, 6 marks for part d and 2 marks for part e.
    Question 6 was 2 marks for part a, 3 marks for part b, 4 marks for part c, 3 marks for part d and 4 marks for part e.
    Finally for question 7 was 4 marks for part a, 1 mark for part b, 5 marks for part c, 3 marks for part d, 4 marks for part e and 5 marks for part f.

ReputationRep:
    Could someone scan the paper as pictures are hard to read and impossible to print on an iPad.

ReputationRep:
    What are the requirements to obtain the 7 marks for style, clarity and presentation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by msmith2512)
    Could someone scan the paper as pictures are hard to read and impossible to print on an iPad.
    i haven't got it sorry :/ ask the other guys, MathsNerd1 something he is called

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Victor Victus)
    What are the requirements to obtain the 7 marks for style, clarity and presentation?
    usually complete solutions to selected question
    like for complete solution to 1,2,3
    complete solution to 5,6,7
    doing 50% of each question
    50% of paper and good attempt
    some which I can't understand for how many marks you get on some questions.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by msmith2512)
    I apologize for the quality of my pictures and if I had a scanner I would gladly scan them in but unfortunately I don't so hopefully someone who also has the paper and a scanner will upload the questions on soon

ReputationRep:
    usually complete solutions to selected question
    like for complete solution to 1,2,3
    complete solution to 5,6,7
    doing 50% of each question
    50% of paper and good attempt
    some which I can't understand for how many marks you get on some questions.
    Thanks. That's some more marks outta the window.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Victor Victus)
    You get 1 mark for getting at least 50% on every question.

The other 6 marks are for getting questions fully correct and for getting S+ marks. I think these will probably be things such as remembering the constant on the differentiating e^tanx question and for justifying the choice of the inequality on the integration one with f(x) and g(x).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    Can someone post the paper? I've still not seen it...
    Have you looked at the paper yet? If so what did you think of it? I think I did better in STEP I than this, but i'm probably just overreacting.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.