The Student Room Group

OCR A Titration Calculations

Hello there!

I've been doing some titration styled practice questions to prepare us to what we will be doing in real ISA soon.

But I'm stuck on the Q.3,4,5!.If you could have a look at what I've done, and explain how you would progress onto the next question, it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers in advance : )

PS: Information required to work out calculations(i.e titre volume, known substance concentration), are inserted in the pic below:
TitrationCalculations-v2.jpg
Reply 1
Original post by KiddingMe
Hello there!

I've been doing some titration styled practice questions to prepare us to what we will be doing in real ISA soon.

But I'm stuck on the Q.3,4,5!.If you could have a look at what I've done, and explain how you would progress onto the next question, it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers in advance : )

PS: Information required to work out calculations(i.e titre volume, known substance concentration), are inserted in the pic below:
TitrationCalculations-v2.jpg

Question 3
You can figure out the concentration of the diluted solution using the number of moles needed for the titration and the corresponding volume, 11.9 cm3. This allows you to work out the number of moles in the diluted 250 cm3.

Question 4
Notice that when you dilute the original solution, the number of moles of H2SO4 does not change; only the volume changes. Therefore the number of moles in (3) is what you use to find the original concentration.

Question 5
You just have to convert amount of H2SO4 to mass of H2SO4.
Reply 2
So q3, is like a scaling calculation then? I'm still no wiser on Q5 though!

Cheers for the help though!
Reply 3
Original post by KiddingMe
So q3, is like a scaling calculation then? I'm still no wiser on Q5 though!

Cheers for the help though!

Yes precisely, you scale up because any sample of the solution will have the same concentration i.e. 250 cm3 of the solution will have 250 times as much of the compound as 1 cm3.

For part 5, you calculate the molar mass of H2SO4 and convert the number of moles to a mass in grams.
Reply 4
Thanks a lot :smile:

I've got this for Q3-5:
Chemistry ISA-MyResponsev2.jpg

Is this what you would have got?

Cheers for all the help!

Quick Reply

Latest