Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I wanna study Media and Communication in the university and I'm trying to decide between the two universities listed above. Yes I have looked at their standings on the league table but, I just wanna know. Which of them would you recommend to a nice lad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MannyJayking)
    I wanna study Media and Communication in the university and I'm trying to decide between the two universities listed above. Yes I have looked at their standings on the league table but, I just wanna know. Which of them would you recommend to a nice lad?
    Visit both of them.

From my personal experience though (I've visited both unis in the last month), I like DMU more. The campuses at BCU are really far from each other that they're almost like completely different unis and the campus where my course is taught is absolutely tiny. DMU has everything fairly close together with only a short walk from A to B. DMU also has a nice, welcoming atmosphere that I did not get at BCU. However, I visited BCU on an interview day during the uni Easter holidays whereas I visited DMU on a faculty open day during term time when there were more people around and more to get involved in so my the atmosphere was bound to be different quite different based on that.

I think you'd only be able to form a proper decision if you visited to be honest because as you might not like the things that other people do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Rose)
    Visit both of them.

From my personal experience though (I've visited both unis in the last month), I like DMU more. The campuses at BCU are really far from each other that they're almost like completely different unis and the campus where my course is taught is absolutely tiny. DMU has everything fairly close together with only a short walk from A to B. DMU also has a nice, welcoming atmosphere that I did not get at BCU. However, I visited BCU on an interview day during the uni Easter holidays whereas I visited DMU on a faculty open day during term time when there were more people around and more to get involved in so my the atmosphere was bound to be different quite different based on that.

I think you'd only be able to form a proper decision if you visited to be honest because as you might not like the things that other people do.

okay. Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    I've had an offer and should be going to BCU in September, I'm not doing your course, but I have looked around the uni and can say it's very nice, well equipped and has very good links in the industry. I'm doing Computer Games Technology there.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about De Montfort, but BCU is very good with its facilities! When I looked around I could tell they looked after their students, and also they're in I think it's the top 30 for students in graduate level employment.

ReputationRep:
    wow... okay
    Thanks for the replies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MannyJayking)
    wow... okay
    Thanks for the replies.
    Where did you decide in the end? I'm trying to pick between these two but to do a fashion course instead and how did you decide?! At the moment I'm leaning towards bcu!

ReputationRep:
    De Montfort University has better facilities.

ReputationRep:
    where did you end up going?

ReputationRep:
    from birmingham and have visited someone who went to demontfort
    (i don't go to uni so i won't comment on the course but rather the surrounding area which i've heard is a pretty big aspect too)
    b'ham is a bit of a weird place, very scummy in parts, weird accents (people always pick up on mine if they aren't from there), but you're in a good place if you like the city, lots of hotels nearby and the big ass library, as well as an arena if you wanna go to some concert, b'ham's very busy and has a few issues with crime to say the least and i really don't recommend it if you don't like busy, crowded places and chavs, good amount of part-time job opportunities and (i think) internships

demontfort i know less about but the area is a bit nicer, less busy than birmingham but hasn't got a very wide range of nightlife compared, unsure about opportunities in terms of jobs and internships but there's a cool park nearby if that helps???

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have literally the same decision to make and I wanna know how and what you ended up deciding on and if you liked it.
    Thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tavala)
    Where did you decide in the end? I'm trying to pick between these two but to do a fashion course instead and how did you decide?! At the moment I'm leaning towards bcu!
    Hi, I have literally the same decision to make and I wanna know how and what you ended up deciding on and if you liked it.Thanx

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I didn't like dmu as much! So I'm going for bcu to study fashion design and I've been offered a place. I like bcu over nottigham Trent so it is a gray university!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zartasha)
    Hey! I didn't like dmu as much! So I'm going for bcu to study fashion design and I've been offered a place. I like bcu over nottigham Trent so it is a gray university!
    Hi😁
    I have made my decision and i think i will be going for BCU aswell. I think the course might be better because of the different options of the fashion design courses
    Might see you there

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I'm glad! Plus it offers the sandwich year which is always beneficial!! What other offers or interviews have you gone to?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I'm glad! Plus it offers the sandwich year which is always beneficial!! What other offers or interviews have you gone to?
    I applied to Nottingham Trent and Derby but my favourites were DMU+ BCU. And they were my first interviews aswell. So am not going to the others there is no point as i have been accepted to where i really wanna go.
    Where else did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    ahh thats good. Did you send your online portfolio to Nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    ahh thats good. Did you send your online portfolio to Nottingham?
    They didnt ask for one they just asked me to come to the interview. Did they ask you before your interview?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I did. So did some of my class friends. So aren't you going to the interview?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I did. So did some of my class friends. So aren't you going to the interview?
    I am not gonna go, i have called them and told them that i won't be coming. To me there is no point because even if i get offered a place i won't be going there.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.