Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I start an internship this summer with JP Morgan for operations, any tips and advice from others who have done internships on how to prepare for it? In particular I am not very confident with excel, does anyone know any good resources for me to get more confident in it ? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I like video tutorials. So you could start with that one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L1OVkw2ZQ8

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger I used to read books about Excel. The ones by John Walkenbach are very good (there's different editions for each version). Start off with ...Bible then move on to ...Formulas. If you have time, read ...Power Programming with VBA. Although, the other books will cover some VBA as well. If you want to save money, these books are likely to be in libraries.

ReputationRep:
    cheers guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajabilal)
    Hey guys I start an internship this summer with JP Morgan for operations, any tips and advice from others who have done internships on how to prepare for it? In particular I am not very confident with excel, does anyone know any good resources for me to get more confident in it ? Cheers
    Heya, I'm also going to be on the Operations team this summer, hello! Do you reckon we need to know loads about excel? I hadn't thought of that.. I've forgotten all the formula's etc.

I can't help with the preparation side, I'm planning on just turning up and taking in as much as possible in training week

As a side-note, have you started looking for houses and stuff yet? All my other friends with internships in London are freaking out and it seems a bit early?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperPatchKid)
    Heya, I'm also going to be on the Operations team this summer, hello! Do you reckon we need to know loads about excel? I hadn't thought of that.. I've forgotten all the formula's etc.

I can't help with the preparation side, I'm planning on just turning up and taking in as much as possible in training week

As a side-note, have you started looking for houses and stuff yet? All my other friends with internships in London are freaking out and it seems a bit early?
    You can usually find a room in London 1-2 weeks before actually arriving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    You can usually find a room in London 1-2 weeks before actually arriving.
    Brill thanks, I thought it was a bit odd that everyone is stressing already!

ReputationRep:
    Learn to polish your shoes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    it wasnt that hard, ive done that internship. mostly just helping where you can. the chances of getting an offer are pretty high unless you screw up or are weird with your team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBrightShadow)
    it wasnt that hard, ive done that internship. mostly just helping where you can. the chances of getting an offer are pretty high unless you screw up or are weird with your team
    sounds good mate, may I ask what desk you was on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperPatchKid)

Hey mate, I think I might apply for student halls if my housemates decide to cancel my student flat contract in june. Look into Imperial halls

ReputationRep:
    Hey mate, I think I might apply for student halls if my housemates decide to cancel my student flat contract in june. Look into Imperial halls
    expensive

ReputationRep:
    expensive
    True, true, I was lucky in first year i managed to get the cheapest imperial halls at 104 per week, but then they closed it down ....
    If you can afford it the halls are really nice and next to south ken station which is conviniant.

Do you recommend any other areas to live in mate

ReputationRep:
    True, true, I was lucky in first year i managed to get the cheapest imperial halls at 104 per week, but then they closed it down ....
    If you can afford it the halls are really nice and next to south ken station which is conviniant.

Do you recommend any other areas to live in mate
    JPM's offices are in Canary Wharf. There will be reasonably cheap housing at Mile End, Stratford, Surrey Quays, Blackwall etc.

Unless you need to be in the office prior to 7 am then you can afford to live further away.

ReputationRep:
    JPM's offices are in Canary Wharf. There will be reasonably cheap housing at Mile End, Stratford, Surrey Quays, Blackwall etc.

Unless you need to be in the office prior to 7 am then you can afford to live further away.
    cheers mate, I'll look into that

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.