Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Intensive driving in one week? Yay or neh? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hiya there,

Well I'm going to be 28 this year and have decided I'd like to start learning to drive and have been looking at my options. I have seen this one week intensive driving course which costs nearly £1,000 within which time you can take your theory test too as well as your practical obviously. I was just wondering if you guys had any experience of doing these intensive courses and whether they are any good or not?

Thanks a lot for your advice in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise against it

ReputationRep:
    Not got experience in taking the intensive course myself, but people have advised me to take 2-3 lessons before spending so much money just incase I don't take to driving :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baines3)
    I'd advise against it
    Can I ask why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chicoinglés)
    Hiya there,

Well I'm going to be 28 this year and has decided I'd like to start learning to drive and have been looking at my options. I have seen this one week intensive driving course which costs nearly £1,000 within which time you can take your theory test too as well as your practical obviously. I was just wondering if you guys had any experience of doing these intensive courses and whether they are any good or not?

Thanks a lot for your advice in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It takes time to gain the skill to operate a vehicle and become a competent driver. You could liken it to learning to play drums in terms of cognitive utility of the mind.

Your best plan is to buy a theory test DVD on amazon, practice for 1 month. Then book a theory test, pass that first and then book 10 lessons with a reputable company such as the AA.

It takes time, and although you're probably eager to pass quickly you'll be a better, safer driver in the long run if you book lessons incrementally and learn at a good pace. Good luck and remember there's no need to rush, people die on the roads every year because they weren't ready to drive unsupervised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommyjazzhands)
    It takes time to gain the skill to operate a vehicle and become a competent driver. You could liken it to learning to play drums in terms of cognitive utility of the mind.

Your best plan is to buy a theory test DVD on amazon, practice for 1 month. Then book a theory test, pass that first and then book 10 lessons with a reputable company such as the AA.

It takes time, and although you're probably eager to pass quickly you'll be a better, safer driver in the long run if you book lessons incrementally and learn at a good pace. Good luck and remember there's no need to rush, people die on the roads every year because they weren't ready to drive unsupervised.
    Oddly enough it's generally only cat B learners that DON'T do intensive courses.

Motorcycle training is often delivered in 'intensive' style courses, as would your Cat B should you join the military without a cat B in a job that needs you to drive.

Vocational licences and 'advanced' / development driver training for work are generally delivered in 'intensive' models of delivery.

People die because they do not treat driving with sufficient respect it has little or nothing to do with the mode of delivery of the ab initio training

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.