Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people look at me strangely for the way I dress? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I'm going to be attending sixth form later this year, and its my first opportunity to express my own style. However, I dress in a different way to other people my age. For example, I'd prefer to wear a smart pair of black trousers than a pair of leggings that clung to everything. Many people my age also wear converse, but I don't like them unless I'm going to the gym or exercising. Why are people so rude when I just want to dress in a sophisticated way? I think that their style suits them, so why can't I dress my own way without getting grief for it?
    Does anyone else feel the same way? I'd love to hear other people with the same problem and their experiences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I love converses but my house mate doesn't.... Everyone has differs likes/dislikes. You wear what you want to! :-)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - just ignore them. I know this sounds really cheesy but you're better than them for having the confidence to express yourself rather than following the crowd.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! In my sixth form there seems to be an unwritten rule that you should wear certain types of clothes to even be acknowledged - that's not fair

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Where do you study?

Your colleagues seem to be utter troglodytes.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Pfft, this just doesn't happen at my college. There's no real restriction or judgement on clothing. At all.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, where I study is private
    I'm glad others have the same view to me. Judging others for a fashion sense is childish, after all, we are all the same without clothing, skin flesh and bone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wear what the hell you want girl.

You know what they say...

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocolateMelody)
    Yeah - just ignore them. I know this sounds really cheesy but you're better than them for having the confidence to express yourself rather than following the crowd.
    Yes because OP dresses differently, she must therefore be above everyone else :facepalm:

Op I'm struggling to believe that people look at you strangely simply because you wear black trousers as opposed to leggings tbh ...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.