Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.

I am currently enrolled on an MMath degree. I have a dilemma about which degree path to choose, which boils down to the following options, both will take four years:

1) Graduate with an MMath (masters degree) and spend the third of my four years studying abroad in a university in America or Australia

2) Graduate with a BSc but for my third year take a placement year and work for a firm.

I expect to graduate with a First and intend to work during the summer: at worst case I will end up returning to a local accountancy firm at which I worked at last summer; the best case is that I actually get onto a big internship with an investment bank or one of the Big Four accountancy firms.

My goal is to secure a job in the finance industry... actuary, accountant, investment banker.. not sure what yet! I just don't know what employers look more favourably on?!

Ideally I would love to study abroad for the life experience, and the fact that my tuition fees would be free for that year, but at the end of the day the degree is all about securing a good job!

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!

t.beer94

x

(Original post by t.beer94)
    Hi all.

I am currently enrolled on an MMath degree. I have a dilemma about which degree path to choose, which boils down to the following options, both will take four years:

1) Graduate with an MMath (masters degree) and spend the third of my four years studying abroad in a university in America or Australia

2) Graduate with a BSc but for my third year take a placement year and work for a firm.
    I would personally do the BSc. + placement as I've no use for a masters and would rather be in a job than spend another year doing a masters, not having a clue what I want to do and am essentially in the same predicament I was the year before.

Of course, this is my perspective from my own personal circumstances and is why I am not taking the MMath. I'm of the impression that you should only take it as a tool to either a) improve your grades or b) to do something more fruitful. I've got no plans to do either.

Insight into my situation I felt may be beneficial to your own, I hope it helps.

Darren

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the response mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t.beer94)
    Hi all.

I expect to graduate with a First and intend to work during the summer: at worst case I will end up returning to a local accountancy firm at which I worked at last summer; the best case is that I actually get onto a big internship with an investment bank or one of the Big Four accountancy firms.

My goal is to secure a job in the finance industry... actuary, accountant, investment banker.. not sure what yet! I just don't know what employers look more favourably on?!

Ideally I would love to study abroad for the life experience, and the fact that my tuition fees would be free for that year, but at the end of the day the degree is all about securing a good job!

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated!

t.beer94

x
    Depending on what you go into, some places may value the higher level of maths studied in the fourth year of an MMath particularly if you can do financial maths modules/projects at your uni.

Typically, MMath degrees are aimed at people who want to become 'professional' mathematicians, which usually (not always) means people aiming to go onto a PhD afterwards.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.