Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I was just feeling a bit stuck on this question ...I would appreciate it if u could help me on it ... thanks!

There is this parametrics question : http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-r...tutorial-1.php

I did the following and just wanted to check with u if I have done it right:

x=2cost y=sin2t

dx/dt= -2sint

so integral sign (sin2t) (-2sint)

then [sin(3t) / (3) - sint ] and for the limits I got t= 90 degrees and 0 . I subbed them in but got -4/3....what do i do next? am i going the right way is this one of those questions where the limits will swap around because we surely cannot have a negative area!?
    thanks laura

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurawoods)
    Hello, I was just feeling a bit stuck on this question ...I would appreciate it if u could help me on it ... thanks!

There is this parametrics question : http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-r...tutorial-1.php

I did the following and just wanted to check with u if I have done it right:

x=2cost y=sin2t

dx/dt= -2sint

then [sin(3t) / (3) - sint ] and for the limits I got t= 90 degrees and 0 . I subbed them in but got -4/3....what do i do next? am i going the right way is this one of those questions where the limits will swap around because we surely cannot have a negative area!?
    thanks laura
    you can have negative area, it just shows the area is below the x axis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by advice_guru)
    you can have negative area, it just shows the area is below the x axis
    ok thanks so
    1) are my working outs right?
    2) also , pls can u look at the diagram (in the web link). They are looking for that top shaded area...when we do this method are we working out the full blob's area (right hand side)...

ReputationRep:

then [sin(3t) / (3) - sint ]
    Link is not working

what did you do there

Are you looking to integrate -2\displaystyle \int \sin 2t \sin t dt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Link is not working

what did you do there

Are you looking to integrate -2\displaystyle \int \sin 2t \sin t dt
    yes and then i got

sin (3t) / 3 - sint

Then I subbed in the values of t = 90 degrees and t=0 and ended up with -4/3 .

On the web link, they have highlighted the top portion (it is an infinity shaped graph and they want us to work out the area of the right hand side blob (top of it above the x axis)) . I thought that when we use this method, we would find out the area of the whole of the right hand side blob (not just the top bit)

ReputationRep:
    yes and then i got

sin (3t) / 3 - sint

Then I subbed in the values of t = 90 degrees and t=0 and ended up with -4/3 .

On the web link, they have highlighted the top portion (it is an infinity shaped graph and they want us to work out the area of the right hand side blob (top of it above the x axis)) . I thought that when we use this method, we would find out the area of the whole of the right hand side blob (not just the top bit)
    I get -\dfrac{4}{3}[\sin^3t]

But, yes I get -\dfrac{4}{3} too assuming that is 90 at the top and 0 at the bottom

do you have a link to the question that works
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Something like this I'd imagine.

Your integral should have the "lower x value" at the bottom, and "larger x value" at the top, so should be from t=pi/2 at the bottom to t=0 at the top.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Something like this I'd imagine.

Your integral should have the "lower x value" at the bottom, and "larger x value" at the top, so should be from t=pi/2 at the bottom to t=0 at the top.
    wow , it is impressive how u produced this diagram! i know u would probably feel a bit angry if I ask this question again :
    but
    1) is this a question where the limits swap around?
    2) so am I right or wrong?
    3) when we do this method and sub in 90 and 0, do we get area of that whole right hand side blob?
    4) is it ok to use 90 and 0 instead of radians version? thanks

ReputationRep:
    I get -\dfrac{4}{3}[\sin^3t]

But, yes I get -\dfrac{4}{3} too assuming that is 90 at the top and 0 at the bottom

do you have a link to the question that works
    hello ghostwalker's diagram is right /...pls can u help me now ! am i right?

ReputationRep:
    wow , it is impressive how u produced this diagram! i know u would probably feel a bit angry if I ask this question again :
    but
    3) when we do this method and sub in 90 and 0, do we get area of that whole right hand side blob?
    If ghostwalker is correct then there is no need to swap anything

The limits would be 90 to 0 rather than 0 to 90

So the answer is \dfrac{4}{3}

ReputationRep:
    If ghostwalker is correct then there is no need to swap anything

The limits would be 90 to 0 rather than 0 to 90

So the answer is \dfrac{4}{3}
    so is my integration right sin3t / 3 -sint

ok if 90 is at the top of the integral sign thing surely we get -4/3 isnt it so"
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    but
    I'll start with the last one. In any calculus, differentiation or integration, you will always use radians. It is not OK to use degrees.

Regarding the first three questions.

Your area in terms of x and y refering to the top curve on the right is:

\displaystyle\int_0^2y\;\text{dx  }

Now that part of the curve is defined by the parameter t, in the interval 0 to pi/2.

You are effectively just making a substutition. x=2cos theta

So, for x to be 0 theta is pi/2 and for x to be 2, theta is 0

So your limits change from 0,2 to pi/2,0 respectively. I.e the upper limit now has the lowest value.

And this is working out the area of just that top right shaded part.

PS: Your actual integration was incorrrect, and should be as TenOfThem said.

ReputationRep:
    so is my integration right sin3t / 3 -sint
    I do not know where you got that from

I told you what I got

ok if 90 is at the top of the integral sign thing surely we get -4/3 isnt it so"
    But 90 is at the bottom

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.