Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How to prepare for a nightclub? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

In a few days, I will be going out clubbing for the first day for my 18th birthday. However, since I have never went I do not know what to expect, how much money should I bring, things to be aware of and what to wear. I obviously will not wear a coat to the club as that is ludacris but do I pay for a taxi to get to the club or is there any other logical way to get to the club without being in the freezing cold outside?

I want to have a great time but without having to spend a lot of money, how much should I bring, knowing I have to pay for drinks and travel from and back?

I also would really like to know what I should wear to a nightclub, I was thinking about wearing a nice blue and white checked shirt and a pair of jeans to go with it and white trainers. Does this seem reasonably fashionable and good to wear on a good night out?

Finally, this question is for the girls. What attracts you to a boy? Their scent, the way they look, and if possible, how should they approach you for a chat or a dance?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ludacris? It's a sad day when people's chosen spelling is based on rappers. It really gets my tempah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alwaysasking)
    Hi,

In a few days, I will be going out clubbing for the first day for my 18th birthday. However, since I have never went I do not know what to expect, how much money should I bring, things to be aware of and what to wear. I obviously will not wear a coat to the club as that is ludacris but do I pay for a taxi to get to the club or is there any other logical way to get to the club without being in the freezing cold outside?

I want to have a great time but without having to spend a lot of money, how much should I bring, knowing I have to pay for drinks and travel from and back?

I also would really like to know what I should wear to a nightclub, I was thinking about wearing a nice blue and white checked shirt and a pair of jeans to go with it and white trainers. Does this seem reasonably fashionable and good to wear on a good night out?

Finally, this question is for the girls. What attracts you to a boy? Their scent, the way they look, and if possible, how should they approach you for a chat or a dance?

Thanks
    Might wanna watch out with the white trainers. Some clubs have a dress code (i.e. no footwear that are clearly trainers).

ReputationRep:
    You can take a coat/hoodie and they have cloakrooms where you can leave it, might cost a couple of quid. Otherwise being freezing cold on club nights out seems to be the norm, you'll notice that - especially girls with next to no clothes wandering around in -20 degrees.

Don't wear white trainers, you may not get in. Rest of the clothes seem fine, just make sure the checked shirt doesn't look stupid.

Get a bus to the club.

Take about £30, but aim to spend about £20 max - seeing as it's your birthday. I'd normally spend quite a bit less otherwise.

Also predrink with your mates and go together.

ReputationRep:
    It's your birthday just go out, have a few drinks and enjoy yourself. It all will seem obvious once your there

ReputationRep:
    I always wear a coat to clubs, it's ludicrous not to when it's below freezing outside...clubs have cloakrooms you know...

Secondly, don't wear white trainers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks
    Rule 1: Drink
    Rule 2: Repeat Rule 1
    Rule 3: Repeat Rule 2
    Rule 4: Repeat Rule 3
    Rule 5: Repeat Rule 4
    Rule 6: Repeat Rule 5
    Rule 7: Repeat Rule 6

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I normally just freeze myself unless it's ridiculously cold. Don't like paying for the cloakrooms lol.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks
    Dress to impress obviously A nice shirt and some casual trousers will do however it's your birthday so you want to stand out! I've always liked the real gentleman look on guys on a night out however most are students and just go for casual trousers or a smart jumper/sweatshirt. Where abouts do you live ? If you're out on a student night you won't need too much money. When I'm at university I can survive on a £10 but when I'm back home I need around £20. Invite friends over for pre-drinks with music and have casual drinks at yours to save money on drinks when you get to the club. Get yourself on the guest list so you can pay less and make sure you know how much entrance/clock room and drinks are. Make sure you arrange how you're getting home. Bus (student town) or sharing and splitting a taxi cost less. Make sure all your friends are able to get home safe!

Girls: Okay I'm a girl but every girl is different so I'll just let you know what I prefer and what a lot of girls seem to prefer.

Never target the girl who is off her face/passing out.
    Approach the girl who is comfortably tipsy or at the bar. Just start friendly conversation. For example, I was on the dance floor and a very popular song came on. He asked me how he was supposed to dance to it. I showed him (dropped to the floor most of the time) and we started talking from there on.

You're with all your friends, try not to abandon them on your birthday and don't make a massive fuss over girls. Just have a good night with your friends you'll have plenty of time for all that girl chasing afterwards.

Hope I've helped a little bit, ask for anymore questions

avid club go-er

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    I always wear a coat to clubs, it's ludicrous not to when it's below freezing outside...clubs have cloakrooms you know...

Secondly, don't wear white trainers
    So what do I wear instead of white trainers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waterstorm)
    You can take a coat/hoodie and they have cloakrooms where you can leave it, might cost a couple of quid. Otherwise being freezing cold on club nights out seems to be the norm, you'll notice that - especially girls with next to no clothes wandering around in -20 degrees.

Don't wear white trainers, you may not get in. Rest of the clothes seem fine, just make sure the checked shirt doesn't look stupid.

Get a bus to the club.

Take about £30, but aim to spend about £20 max - seeing as it's your birthday. I'd normally spend quite a bit less otherwise.

Also predrink with your mates and go together.
    What would you wear instead of white trainers?

ReputationRep:
    Wear a coat. It's cold outside - you wouldn't want to catch a cold. The club will have a cloak room which is usually near the entrance. Just look for the converted broom cupboard. You'll have to pay - sometimes per item. Prices vary, but if it's more than £2, tell them to do one.

If you know what club you are going to, see if you can be put on to a guest list - usually saves time and/or money. Don't go straight to the club - go somewhere for pre-drinks first. A bar or someone's house is a good shout. You can then get some reasonably well priced drinks to get you drunk enough so that you don't realise how crap clubbing actually is.

Avoid white trainers. A shirt and dark jeans are a safe bet.

I usually take £50 out with £20 of that as reserve money which I never intend to spend. I will usually end up using up all my cash and giving my card a good hammering too. Don't do this. Be aware of toilet attendants who demand money for soap/toilet paper.

As for the womanising side to clubbing - it's a bloody nightmare. Don't be afraid of trying to start conversations, but don't make your night solely about picking up women. Just have fun... or as much fun as you can have in a dark room with expensive drinks, dodgy music and the odd moron.

...and if you are a frequent clubber reading this thinking "but I never notice the odd moron" - well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YB101)
    Dress to impress obviously A nice shirt and some casual trousers will do however it's your birthday so you want to stand out! I've always liked the real gentleman look on guys on a night out however most are students and just go for casual trousers or a smart jumper/sweatshirt. Where abouts do you live ? If you're out on a student night you won't need too much money. When I'm at university I can survive on a £10 but when I'm back home I need around £20. Invite friends over for pre-drinks with music and have casual drinks at yours to save money on drinks when you get to the club. Get yourself on the guest list so you can pay less and make sure you know how much entrance/clock room and drinks are. Make sure you arrange how you're getting home. Bus (student town) or sharing and splitting a taxi cost less. Make sure all your friends are able to get home safe!

Girls: Okay I'm a girl but every girl is different so I'll just let you know what I prefer and what a lot of girls seem to prefer.

Never target the girl who is off her face/passing out.
    Approach the girl who is comfortably tipsy or at the bar. Just start friendly conversation. For example, I was on the dance floor and a very popular song came on. He asked me how he was supposed to dance to it. I showed him (dropped to the floor most of the time) and we started talking from there on.

You're with all your friends, try not to abandon them on your birthday and don't make a massive fuss over girls. Just have a good night with your friends you'll have plenty of time for all that girl chasing afterwards.

Hope I've helped a little bit, ask for anymore questions

avid club go-er
    That's a lot of information I really appreciate! I actually live at home still However, I will be in University at the end of September which is so promising .

Have you ever made any friends from a club or is that just the place to kiss people and generally have a good time?

ReputationRep:
    don't wear trainers and maybe go for a plainer rather than checked shirt. take about £20.
    as for girls, don't come across as arrogant or trying to make a big deal infront of mates. just approach them casually, maybe offer to buy them a drink?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thanks
    A couple of tips:

Don't bother trying to argue to bouncers.
    Drink some water at the end of the night.
    Make sure your phone is charged and you have your friends numbers.
    Don't focus on pulling the ladies. Focus on having a good time and everything else is a bonus. That way you won't be disappointed if you don't pull.

Most importantly don't get kicked out and pass out in a gutter so a policeman has to phone your dad to come pick you up. Not that I've ever done that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    Wear a coat. It's cold outside - you wouldn't want to catch a cold. The club will have a cloak room which is usually near the entrance. Just look for the converted broom cupboard. You'll have to pay - sometimes per item. Prices vary, but if it's more than £2, tell them to do one.

If you know what club you are going to, see if you can be put on to a guest list - usually saves time and/or money. Don't go straight to the club - go somewhere for pre-drinks first. A bar or someone's house is a good shout. You can then get some reasonably well priced drinks to get you drunk enough so that you don't realise how crap clubbing actually is.

Avoid white trainers. A shirt and dark jeans are a safe bet.

I usually take £50 out with £20 of that as reserve money which I never intend to spend. I will usually end up using up all my cash and giving my card a good hammering too. Don't do this. Be aware of toilet attendants who demand money for soap/toilet paper.

As for the womanising side to clubbing - it's a bloody nightmare. Don't be afraid of trying to start conversations, but don't make your night solely about picking up women. Just have fun... or as much fun as you can have in a dark room with expensive drinks, dodgy music and the odd moron.

...and if you are a frequent clubber reading this thinking "but I never notice the odd moron" - well...
    It's a shame that white trainers are the only trainers that I have. I will have great fun and women are a part of the fun. I'll just relax and party with my friends. I'm sure I'm just overthinking it.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you eat something or have a glass of milk at least pre drink. Stood throwing up outside the club not what you want on first club night

don't actively try to "pull", smile at a girl if you like her, if she smiles back, repeat a few times over half an hour (don't gawp constantly like a loon though), if she is still responding, then go over, sure fire way to find out if someone is at least interested in talking to you

Most of all, have fun, forget about girls, its your 18th!! Drink and be merry :beer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getaway)
    don't wear trainers and maybe go for a plainer rather than checked shirt. take about £20.
    as for girls, don't come across as arrogant or trying to make a big deal infront of mates. just approach them casually, maybe offer to buy them a drink?
    I love how everyone is telling me to avoid trainers but not tell me what shoes I should wear lol. Yeah, whenever I speak to girls I prefer to be calm and collected, I just don't pick the good girls from the bad ones :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    A couple of tips:

Don't bother trying to argue to bouncers.
    Drink some water at the end of the night.
    Make sure your phone is charged and you have your friends numbers.
    Don't focus on pulling the ladies. Focus on having a good time and everything else is a bonus. That way you won't be disappointed if you don't pull.

Most importantly don't get kicked out and pass out in a gutter so a policeman has to phone your dad to come pick you up. Not that I've ever done that...
    Great tips my friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gummibear)
    Make sure you eat something or have a glass of milk at least pre drink. Stood throwing up outside the club not what you want on first club night

don't actively try to "pull", smile at a girl if you like her, if she smiles back, repeat a few times over half an hour (don't gawp constantly like a loon though), if she is still responding, then go over, sure fire way to find out if someone is at least interested in talking to you

Most of all, have fun, forget about girls, its your 18th!! Drink and be merry :beer:
    After I go to this club, I'll probably go once every month and stick to chilled environments like a bar. But yeah my 18th it's going to be legen...wait for it... dary. LEGENDARY!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.