Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I'm off on a year abroad to Spain next year so have just had the fun of filling in a student finance application for that. I was just wondering though how much maintenance loan/grant other people have been eligible for / are eligible for when doing a similar thing. Only because I got the impression from somewhere that my loan wouldn't be affected but it's fallen from about £5000 to about £2300...

If it affects anything, I'm doing a British Council Assistantship which is paid and I put it down as a 'placement' on the form, but nowhere did it ask for any more details of what or with whom this placement might be and whether or not it's paid. So as far as they know this £2300 is all I have to live off for the year...

I should be ok financially as I'll be paid and have an Erasmus grant, but would be interested to know if I should be getting anything else!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanksta)
    Hey

I'm off on a year abroad to Spain next year so have just had the fun of filling in a student finance application for that. I was just wondering though how much maintenance loan/grant other people have been eligible for / are eligible for when doing a similar thing. Only because I got the impression from somewhere that my loan wouldn't be affected but it's fallen from about £5000 to about £2300...

If it affects anything, I'm doing a British Council Assistantship which is paid and I put it down as a 'placement' on the form, but nowhere did it ask for any more details of what or with whom this placement might be and whether or not it's paid. So as far as they know this £2300 is all I have to live off for the year...

I should be ok financially as I'll be paid and have an Erasmus grant, but would be interested to know if I should be getting anything else!

Thanks!
    Are you on a study year abroad, or a placement year abroad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    Are you on a study year abroad, or a placement year abroad?
    It's a compulsory part of my course but it's a placement as I'll be working for the British Council teaching English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanksta)
    It's a compulsory part of my course but it's a placement as I'll be working for the British Council teaching English.
    So it's a placement year then, and not a study year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    So it's a placement year then, and not a study year?

Yep.

ReputationRep:
    Usually students on placements receive a lower amount of maintenance loan than normal and are not entitled to grants.

However there are some exceptions and this includes placements under the Erasmus scheme.

Normally you get assessed for the lower amount and then get sent a letter asking you to get written confirmation from your university of the details of your placement.

If you've not been asked to get this letter from your university, you should get one anyway and sent it to SFE.

They should then reassess you for full funding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SumGuy)
    Usually students on placements receive a lower amount of maintenance loan than normal and are not entitled to grants.

However there are some exceptions and this includes placements under the Erasmus scheme.

Normally you get assessed for the lower amount and then get sent a letter asking you to get written confirmation from your university of the details of your placement.

If you've not been asked to get this letter from your university, you should get one anyway and sent it to SFE.

They should then reassess you for full funding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oo, thank you for that. So if I'm getting paid by the British Council but also receiving an Erasmus grant then I should be eligible for a higher loan than the one I've currently been assessed for? It didn't mention anything on the page but as I only filled it in yesterday I haven't had a letter from them yet so I guess it could be in that.
    Just out of interest, how do you know this? Just as I was wondering if this was information from this year or not!
    Thank you very much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    It's on page 6 if this PDF

http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/m..._repaired_.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's still valid for this year, the regulations haven't been changed anytime recently.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.