Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Keeps saying he loves me but I'm not ready to say it back? Watch

My bf and me have been dating for a while and he recently told me he loved me. I responded honestly, thanking him and explaining that while I'm really enjoying our relationship, it might just take me a little longer to get there. But now he keeps saying at random times, and while it's nice to hear, I honestly have no idea what to say back! So whats your advice tsr?

ReputationRep:
    "I ..ruhh... you too"

Perhaps just hug him or give him a peck on the lips?

(Original post by Pink Boy)
    "I ..ruhh... you too"

Perhaps just hug him or give him a peck on the lips?
    Good idea! But what if it's a text or phone conversation?

ReputationRep:
    If he really loves you, then He'll wait for you to feel the same way. Although If you think that may never come, its not exactly fair on him.

But I'm sure he can handle it.

ReputationRep:
    Say 'I have feelings for you, but real love takes longer to develop' or something. Never just say 'I don't love you' or anything similar because that would hurt this fellow a lot.

(Original post by RwLovett)
    If he really loves you, then He'll wait for you to feel the same way. Although If you think that may never come, its not exactly fair on him.

But I'm sure he can handle it.
    I know, and that's what he said the first time I told him but I just don't know how to respond when he says it again - I don't want to repeat the whole 'it'll take me some time' speech every time because he already knows that.

ReputationRep:
    "I know."

Or

"I know, You make me happy/very happy"

Use positive words which can replace the "love" word.

I said it to my GF before she said it to me. Maybe I didnt mean it to begin with, but after a few months it really did have meaning behind it everytime when I said it. He might just be saying it because he thinks that is what you want to hear.

ReputationRep:
    I said i love you to myboyfriend after about 9 months whereas he took about a year to say it, it was awkward when i orginally said it as he sort of said 'aww thats cute' but to be honest im glad he did becuase for the first time when he said he actually loved me i truly felt it was real and he meant it it wasnt just empty words so just tell him its not that you dont care feel soemthing for him but youve not been together long enough to be in love yet?

(Original post by RwLovett)
    "I know."

Or

"I know, You make me happy/very happy"

Use positive words which can replace the "love" word.

I said it to my GF before she said it to me. Maybe I didnt mean it to begin with, but after a few months it really did have meaning behind it everytime when I said it. He might just be saying it because he thinks that is what you want to hear.
    Thanks, your second suggestion is very good. Maybe that, but he knows I hate it when people throw around words like that so I really hope not.

ReputationRep:
    "I love youtube."

Say youtube fast.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No point saying it when you don't mean it though. When you mean it, it will mean a lot more

(Original post by SillyMilly)
    I said i love you to myboyfriend after about 9 months whereas he took about a year to say it, it was awkward when i orginally said it as he sort of said 'aww thats cute' but to be honest im glad he did becuase for the first time when he said he actually loved me i truly felt it was real and he meant it it wasnt just empty words so just tell him its not that you dont care feel soemthing for him but youve not been together long enough to be in love yet?
    Yeah exactly, I explained that and I think he gets it. Did you say I love you again till he said it to you though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah exactly, I explained that and I think he gets it. Did you say I love you again till he said it to you though?
    at first becuase i took it personally as i was finding it strange after a year thaat he hadnt developed those kind of feelings but then i just realised accepted that everybody falls in love at different times so after that i didnt say it again till he said it

(Original post by SillyMilly)
    at first becuase i took it personally as i was finding it strange after a year thaat he hadnt developed those kind of feelings but then i just realised accepted that everybody falls in love at different times so after that i didnt say it again till he said it
    What did he say when you kept saying it?

(Original post by Kage)
    No point saying it when you don't mean it though. When you mean it, it will mean a lot more
    I agree, but what do I say in the meantime?

ReputationRep:
    Just say "thank you", or as others have suggested "you make me happy too".

He probably knows, but it is nice to tell someone you love that you love them. So just acknowledge it in a positive way.

Or ask him!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.